403 Access Denied to Admin GCL and ACL

Moderators: mandville, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
daveej
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

403 Access Denied to Admin GCL and ACL

Post by daveej » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:29 pm

I have a problem that appears to have been referred to in a past solved post. I didn't get a reply post in the [Solved] item, so I'm reposting were it would belongs today.

This appears to refer to this post:
[Solved] 403 Access Denied while adding a new admin user.

Postby wtfnowagain » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:13 pm

Here is my repost.

Postby daveej » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:58 pm
I'm having a similar problem. I tried to change a user group to allow access the backend and enter new members. I couldn't find a solution without giving Superuser status. After testing and deciding this wasn't wise, backed off and tried to remove Superuser status. Now however I get as the only remaining Superuser:
Error
An error has occurred.
403 You are not authorised to view this resource.
when trying to change or add a User Group or Access Level.

And I can't do a restoration in Akeeba Backup. There are no admin buttons accessible in Akeeba Admin now, so I can't get to settings.

What do I do now?

sozzled
I've been banned!

Re: 403 Access Denied to Admin GCL and ACL

Post by sozzled » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:37 pm

daveej wrote:I have a problem that appears to have been referred to in a past solved post.
Where might this have been? ???

By the way, what is "GCL"? I'm not familiar with the acronym.

daveej
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by daveej » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:04 pm

[Solved] topic is here: viewtopic.php?f=708&t=830632

I borrowed the ACL acronym and applied it to User Group. I tried modifying a user to allow Superuser privileges in Global Configuration and then changed it back. That broke my access to both User Group and ACL in the Admin backend.

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:38 pm

There's no shame in admitting one's goofs—I do it all the time :D If you want to grant another user superuser access to your website, you don't tamper with the ACLs; you use the User Manager and add the user account to the superuser group (but you didn't do that). By the way, using techiques may have appropriate to a situation four-and-a-bit years ago could be risky and that's probably what landed you in the strife you're in today.

Do you want the quickest, effective solution in your situation or do you want to roll up your sleeves and attempt to unravel the mess?

daveej
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by daveej » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:12 am

I have a back up that will fix it I know, but its a week old and I will wipe out a couple of users inputs. Yet this is an avocation, I work more than FT, so I don't have much time to do this.

I would like to fix it without undoing things, but if I'm taking on a huge project, I don't want to do that.

Its hard to believe that the only people who can change the Admin backend have to be superusers. I would think there would be a built in hierarchy of Admins, with the superuser in charge.

I greatly appreciate your help!

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:34 am

daveej wrote:I have a back up that will fix it I know, but its a week old and I will wipe out a couple of users inputs ...
It's probably a small penalty to pay for making a mistake.
daveej wrote:It's hard to believe that the only people who can change the Admin backend have to be superusers.
Well, that's not entirely true. In the hierarchy of site administration there are (from most- to least-privileged) superusers, administrators and managers; their respective roles are described in the Joomla documentation website. Additionally to those "pre-packaged" roles, there are ways to extend certain administrator-like functionality to a whole range of people; the extensibility of privileged functionality (via ACLs) is virtually limitless but it does require a cautious, judicious approach in making those changes.

If it were my website, I would probably experiment with changing ACLs on a test site where it didn't matter if I goofed. Once I was confident that I knew exactly what I was doing and I could undo any accidental damage I might cause to a production site, that's when I would apply that knowledge to a real-life situation. Anyway, what's done is done but the situation is retrievable. Cheers. 8)

Return to “Access Control List (ACL) in Joomla! 3.x”