Superuser minus user perms

Moderators: mandville, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
cronie
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Superuser minus user perms

Post by cronie » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:20 am

Hello, I am a Joomla novice, but have a website set up.

I have been doing thing's solo for many years, but now I would like to add another admin.

I would like to give him Superuser permissions but NOT access to user files (names, emails, registration, etc)

How can I do this please and thank you :)

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: Superuser minus user perms

Post by AMurray » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:52 am

cronie wrote:I would like to give him Superuser permissions but NOT access to user files (names, emails, registration, etc). How can I do this please and thank you :)
The best way is not to give him super user access. Perhaps 'Manager', or 'Administrator' access (lower level 'admin' than Super user). You might want to test those out first with a test user to see exactly what you can and can't do.

Otherwise, you will need to create a custom user group and user access level and tweak the ACL (Access Control List) settings to your exact requirements if the defaults are not what you're after. An extension I would recommend for this purpose is https://extensions.joomla.org/extension ... l-manager/. Costs about $10 per year, relatively inexpensive for what you get out of it.

The ACL can be complicated to understand (not sure I do myself) so please come back asking further questions and provide the exact information or functions the other admin user should have access to and what they shouldn't. Screenshots might help e.g. showing examples of what screens the user shouldn't or should be able to access, or the menu items to be shown or blocked and so on.

I'm sure it's all possible, but there are people more expert than me in the ACL space on this forum. I will be keen to see the feedback & answers on this myself.
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

Return to “Access Control List (ACL) in Joomla! 3.x”