Hide groups for higher levels

Moderators: mandville, PhilD, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
frighten
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Hide groups for higher levels

Post by frighten » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:20 pm

Hi all

I have a site that needs four levels of access.
  • Super Admin - That is me.
  • Admins - My colleagues at the office that should be able to do almost anything.
  • Site Managers - Some specials persons at clients office that have normal Registered access, but also access to enter the user management section in the backend.
  • Registered - A normal site user that can use a certain function at the site's frontend.
My issue is with the Site Manager group. The access itself works perfectly and they can only see the User Management section in the Backend as well as create and edit users. The thing is that they should only be able to create/add/edit users to the Registered Group. Whatever I try I could not remove the check box for the other groups, which I feel a bit strange. I do not wish to hard remove them since an Admin user should still be able to add to any group.

I have seen the same issue posted earlier while ago, so am very sorry to bring it up again. But since I did not find any solution that was satisfied enough I am bringing the question back to life.

Best regards,
Andy

sozzled
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: Hide groups for higher levels

Post by sozzled » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:49 pm

As you have observed, the issue lies with "site managers" (as you call them) being able to administer users. User administration is an activity typically undertaken by administrators. Managers, typically, can access the backend for the purposes of creating, editing, publishing/unpublishing and/or trashing/deleting Joomla articles. That's the normal way that J! is set up.

Extending the user management activities to managers is not an impossible task but it's a little tricky. It requires modifying the component access. There's are some general articles on these kinds of activities but they require a bit of patience and experimentation to achieve exactly what people may require:
I can't give you a definitive solution because this has not come up in the work that I do. Perhaps someone else may be able to fill in the gaps. Good luck and cheers. :)
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
Former member of Kunena project team
If you think I’m wrong then say “I think you're wrong.” If you say “You’re wrong!”, how do you know?

Return to “Access Control List (ACL) in Joomla! 3.x”