Inadvertently locked myself out

Moderators: mandville, PhilD, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
tomgraham
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Inadvertently locked myself out

Post by tomgraham » Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:19 pm

I'm running the latest Joomla version (3.9.3) and was trying in the ACL to determine and rule out some user access anomolies. Somehow, without noticing it, I seem to have made the Super User user group, subservient to a user group without administrator access. (Stupid, I know, and another example why you shouldn't do maintenance work when tired - please add me to the stupid administrator list!) Of course I was shut out immediately after saving the work, and now I'm told I have no right to log in to the admin area. Can anybody give me any tips about where I should begin before I start working through everything I can find?

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Inadvertently locked myself out

Post by toivo » Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:26 pm

The following tutorial shows how to reset the administrator password and also how to add a new super user to the users table in the database: https://docs.joomla.org/How_do_you_reco ... assword%3F

In your case resetting the password or adding a new Super User is not going to help because you changed the structure of the user groups. If you have access to phpMyAdmin from the cPanel of your host, you need to reset the structure by editing the usergroups table and make sure that the parent_id of the Super Users group is 1, pointing to Public, as shown in the attached image from the basic usergroups table.

usergroups.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator
troubleshooting smtp and other articles http://talikka.com/joomla

tomgraham
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by tomgraham » Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:37 pm

Many thanks indeed for your very prompt response. I'm aware of this page but haven't yet applied it. Will the new Super User not be subject to the same subservient group settings in the ACL ? I thought I'd have to access the ACL settings first, and then (if neccessary) create a new Super User.

toivo wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:26 pm
The following tutorial shows how to reset the administrator password and also how to add a new super user to the users table in the database: https://docs.joomla.org/How_do_you_reco ... assword%3F

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:39 pm

See the updated reply with explanation how to reset the structure.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator
troubleshooting smtp and other articles http://talikka.com/joomla

tomgraham
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by tomgraham » Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:47 pm

Once again, many thanks indeed. I'll get onto this immdiately.

tomgraham
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by tomgraham » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:37 pm

tomgraham wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:47 pm
Once again, many thanks indeed. I'll get onto this immdiately.
I'm afraid that hasn't remedied the problem.

(The URL used for the image is an unused domain on my server)

I'm still locked out of the backend. I have frontend access but with the warning I have no access to the private areas.

I've reconstructed some of what happened.
The site itself is aimed at the general public, but registration is restricted to members only.
There are only three users with backend access. One is Super User, one a "test" user. The third has no configuration rights, but content rights, but has until recently scarcely accessed the site. I began to see user anomolies with the third user, and sought the cause in the ACL. While doing so it occurred to me that, because of our membership situation, we could live with less user groups. This is where stupidity took over.
I decided as all remotely "active" users are members who must be registered, I could make Registered the base group, and delete Public. But because of the user group heirarchy I couldn't delete Public directly. So I renamed it "Registered1", moved all users from Registered, incl. sub-groups into Registered1, deleted Registered and Public, and renamed Registered1 as Registered, at the base of the hierarchical tree.

I'm at a bit of a loss to know where to begin. Would an FPA be of any help under these circumstances?

AMurray
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by AMurray » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:11 am

I think the quickest way is simply to restore the site from a backup, which I assume you did before messing with the ACL.....?
Regards,
--------------------------------------------------------------
A Murray
Millennium Falcon - it's the ship that made the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs! The fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy.

tomgraham
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by tomgraham » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:14 am

AMurray wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:11 am
I think the quickest way is simply to restore the site from a backup, which I assume you did before messing with the ACL.....?
Afraid not. I have automatic backups being made on my server, and I've already tried two restores; one made yesterday at ca. 13:00h, before I started working, and the next at ca. 08:00h and in both I'm still locked out. This makes me think (speculation: I have no solid evidence for this) that the problem must be a conflict in the DB; for which I don't have a specific, timed backup system. I also have a number of backups made on the site which I'm now going to have to look at.

Return to “Access Control List (ACL) in Joomla! 3.x”