ACL Per document or category Topic is solved

Moderators: mandville, PhilD, General Support Moderators, mandville, PhilD, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
aabfm
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

ACL Per document or category

Post by aabfm » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:44 pm

Hi,
I'd like to have my students to generally access my website but each class to access their own documents and (ideally) each student his/her own grades or documents.
I've tried several times to create a new User Group and then a new Category but the new User Group is not shown. When I step into permissions there are so many I don't know even where to start...
The tutorials are either outdated or too detailed and, to be honest, for the time being I could get away just by simply assign a specific Category to a specific Group.
Adding to this, all the extension or plug-ins for this matter are paid.
Can anyone either give me a hand or point me somewhere on how to do this?
I'm using the latest Joomla version.
Thanks in advance.
Spare the nature, use electronic docs!

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: ACL Per document or category

Post by sozzled » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:06 pm

Some general thoughts.

This question is asked a few times on the forum. Basically, the question involves how to allow individual users of a website to access content that relates, specifically, to that individual user and to no-one else.

It's possible, with ACLs, to control access to content. It's also possible to create user groups so that everyone in that group is able to access content targeted to that group but not access content targeted to other user groups. When it comes to refining the rules that effectively mean that one user group means one user in that group, then it starts to get messy. For example, if you have a class with 20 students and you want to allow each student to see something (but not allow them to see something else relating to another student) then you would have to create 20 user groups and assign each [student] user account to each user group. That starts to become a lot of work. But it's not impossible.

Of course you can apply ACLs (or view access, to be more exact) to each document ... or even to whole categories of documents/articles. However there are other ways to do this that don't involve ACLs or they don't involve ACLs in the traditional sense.

One way, obviously, is to email each student's grades. That's pretty easy.

Another way would be to tailor a "help desk" (or, as they're sometimes called, "job ticketing") system to suit your needs. When you think about it, a help desk is where each user has a one-on-one relationship with the "support staff"; what one person sees in a help desk application is invisible to other [ordinary] users of that application. The JED has a few help desk extensions that may suit your needs.

Good luck. :)
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?” :)

AMurray
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AMurray » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:26 pm

If we're talking about education here, then I would suggest some sort of LMS such as Moodle which addresses many of the OP's requirements (1) student access to documents (2) submission of assignments (3) advising of assessments and grades etc - all through individual student logins.

For integration into a Joomla site, Joomdle (https://extensions.joomla.org/extension/joomdle/) does the job.

This might be overkill, but may also take some of the 'headache' out of figuring out how to work with Joomla's ACL system to get the permissions right.
Regards,
--------------------------------------------------------------
A Murray
Help you I can, yes!. Post your question, you should. Keep it on topic you must!
Use the Forc....Forum Post Assistant my young Padawan!

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:00 am

Create a User group (with Registered as Parent) for each Category
In Admin Contents >>> Categories ... for each Category ... Options >>> Permissions ... set the Permissions for the user Group that you want for the Category.

Remember Child Categories will inherit the Permissions of their Parent.
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results": Albert Einstein.

aabfm
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by aabfm » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:58 am

To HMurray:
Hi,
Thanks, I did think about that, something like Moodle and I did give it a try but I agree with sozzled about being a bit overkiling.

To Webdongle:
Hi,
Thanks, I'll give a try within the next minutes and I'll come back to you.
Unfortunatelly I can't show you the result as this is an intranet website.

Thanks to all for the fast feedback.
And happy new year.

aabfm
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by aabfm » Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:09 am

I must have missed something...

1. Created a copy of group "Registered" called "Class A" so that I force my students to register and consequently log in;
2. Created a Category called "Class A Docs";

This is where the problems start...

While creating/editing the category, on the first tab ("Category"), at the Access drop-down menu, I can't see the usergroup "Class A", only the usual ones: "Public", "Guest", "Registered", "Special", "Super User".
On the last tab ("Permissions") there is already the "Class A" usergroup but there is no "View" action, only these ones: "Create", "Delete", "Edit", "Edit State", "Edit Own".

Any ideas? Am I missing something?

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:33 am

I forgot
Create view/access level and select the appropriate user group(s) in it.

Any user Group that you create will show in the Permissions unless you created them in a 3rd party extension that uses it's own Permissions set.
"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results": Albert Einstein.

aabfm
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by aabfm » Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:41 am

Quick update and solution.

I found the missing bit.

1. Create the 'Usergroup'.
2. Go to "Users" -> "Access Levels" -> "Viewing Access Levels".
3. Create a new "Viewing Access Level", in this case "Class A View Access".
4. Create a new category, in this case "Class A Docs" and set on the drop-down menu "Class A View Access" (Now I can see it!)

Thanks for everything!

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:12 pm

something else to think about is parent/child user groups e.g.
Cars
>Cars author
>>Cars publisher

'Cars' --- no extra Permissions
'Cars author' --- Allow Create and Edit Own.
'Cars publisher' ... will inherit 'Allow Create and Edit Own' ... you can then add Allow Edit and Delete.

You could do similar for other User groups e.g. Tractors. By careful selection of user groups in view/access levels band Categories you could have separate areas on your site. You could create Overall authors and publishers that could have access to all view access levels.

The combinations are almost limitless. I suggest that you use pen and paper to work out what you need.

aabfm
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by aabfm » Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:45 pm

Nice one, thanks for the suggestion.
I have to give a try.

Return to “Access Control List (ACL) in Joomla! 3.x”