none public menu's are shown Topic is solved

Moderators: mandville, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
nubro01
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

none public menu's are shown

Post by nubro01 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:15 pm

I have a website where I only use the local language and I have no problem hiding menu's items that are not public.
I am now building a multi language site and for some reason, the none public menu's keep popping up.
I double checked with the other sites I have and of course I do not see my own fault. I suspect the multi language has something to do with it, but? So anybody having a multi language site, do you have or had this probem too and what was the solution.
Thanks
https://www.gogd.nl
Last edited by imanickam on Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Moved topic » from Language - Joomla! 3.x to Access Control List (ACL) in Joomla! 3.x

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: none public menu's are shown

Post by imanickam » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:13 am

Hope you are using Joomla's core multilingual functionality to build this site?

Is the site referenced is a multilingual site?

If the answer is Yes, I suggest checking the following:
(a) Whether the plug-in "System - Language Filter" has been enabled?
(b) Whether the module Language Switcher is published?
(c) Whether the objects such as menu items are assigned to appropriate language?
Ilagnayeru (MIG) Manickam | இளஞாயிறு மாணிக்கம்
Joomla! - Global Moderators Team | Joomla! Core - Tamil (தமிழ்) Translation Team Coordinator
Former Joomla! Translations Coordination Team Lead
Eegan - Support the poor and underprivileged

nubro01
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by nubro01 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:37 am

I am indeed using Joomla's core multilingual functionality.
All needed plugin's are enabled, I even see the flags, which in my opinion, was always the hardest to get done. See www.gogd.nl
The menu's which needed to be hidden for public were all in the correct language, but some others where not. After changing them all to the correct language and rebuilding the menu, then nothing changed. I still see the menu's and articles, although I am not signed in and all articles are all in the correct security group.

nubro01
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by nubro01 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:31 pm

Ok, how fast can one overlook its own mistakes?
I found another site, multilanguage and created the same menu structure and that worked just fine.
Then I looked at access level under Users and there I found that, althought group members was below Registered, that in the access level for the members group, public was still checked. After removing, my menu worked and while still public, no private menu's where shown.
So solved!

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by imanickam » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:21 pm

Glad to know that you have solved your issue. Thanks for sharing the details about how you have resolved the issue. This information would be of help who may encounter similar setup/situation.
Ilagnayeru (MIG) Manickam | இளஞாயிறு மாணிக்கம்
Joomla! - Global Moderators Team | Joomla! Core - Tamil (தமிழ்) Translation Team Coordinator
Former Joomla! Translations Coordination Team Lead
Eegan - Support the poor and underprivileged

Return to “Access Control List (ACL) in Joomla! 3.x”