Joomla 3.9.22 - registered users unable to edit their own posts Topic is solved

Moderators: mandville, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
tyabji
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Joomla 3.9.22 - registered users unable to edit their own posts

Post by tyabji » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:24 pm

Hi Everyone,
In the backend>Global Configuration, I have set Permissions for registered Users as follows: Site Login- Allowed; Create- Allowed, and Edit - Allowed. In Admin>Users Edit Own is Allowed. Everything else- Not Allowed.
Each registered user has his/her own Category. When a user logs in he/she is able to post a new article under his/her category. I receive an email from the site to notify me of the post. The new article appears on the User’s page after I Publish and Save it in Admin.
However, when the User logs in and wants to edit the article, he/she cannot do so. Clicking the gear icon displays only 'Print' and 'Checked Out'.
I can’t understand what Checked Out means and don’t know what more I should do to enable the User to edit his/her own post. Any help here deeply appreciated!¬
Last edited by toivo on Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod note: changed CAPS in subject - please observe the forum rules!

andypooz
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: Joomla 3.9.22 - registered users unable to edit their own posts

Post by andypooz » Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:49 am

Checked out means that another user currently has the article open for editing. This can be caused by going into an article edit view and then exiting using the browser back button or closing the browser window. Until you click Save, Save & Close or Cancel, no one else will be able to edit the article.

Fix: If you go into the admin panel and click System - > Global check in, make sure com_content is checked and click 'Check in' then all articles will be ready for editing by those with permissions. In future though, more care needs to be taken to exit out of article edit view only using the toolbar buttons so that articles aren't left in the Checked out state. But get used to using the global check in routine if you're running an multi-author site, because its inevitable that this will happen.

If the user is seeing the Checked out message in the cog, then it suggests to me that they have the rights to edit it if it's checked in, so I think once you check the article back in, they'll be able to edit it.

If it's not immediately obvious why this checking out measure is necessary, it is there to avoid several people editing the same article at the same time and overwriting the changes others have made. In my experience, the chances of this happening are extremely remote, and I avoid adding this feature to my custom components, as it serves mainly as an annoyance. That said, if you and your users are careful to check in content by not navigating away from the editor without either saving or cancelling, then other users should be able to edit the article where they have the permissions to do so.
Andy Hickey
Bespoke Joomla Extension Developer
http://www.netamity.com

tyabji
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Joomla 3.9.22 - registered users unable to edit their own posts

Post by tyabji » Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:11 am

Thanks, Andy, that's very helpful and has cleared up my confusion.
Best,
Robert

Return to “Access Control List (ACL) in Joomla! 3.x”