Help with showing different content to Guest, Registered, Subscribers Topic is solved

Moderators: mandville, PhilD, General Support Moderators, mandville, PhilD, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
mariopg
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Help with showing different content to Guest, Registered, Subscribers

Post by mariopg » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:17 am

Hi all, I am facing an ACL configuration that I think it is not possible or I am not able to setup properly.

I have successfully setup Guest access (all guest users are "guests" in config).

I have menu items that are like this:

A. Home, Presentation, Contact > Access to Public.
B. Lessons overview (for Guest group) > Access to Guest.
C. Welcome Kit (for Registered group) > Access to Registered.
D. Lessons complete (for Subscribers group) > Access to Subscribers that is a sub-group of Registered.

What I want to do is:

1. When a user is not registered they can see the Public content "A" and Guest "B".
2. Anyone except Subscribers can see Lessons (for Guest group) "B".
3. When a user register they get a "welcome kit", so a Registered user should see: "A", "B", "C", but not "D"
4. When a user subscribe they should see content: "A", "C", "D", but not "B"

My problems are:

- Registered group users, can access the "Welcome kit (C)" but they don't see the "Lessons overview (B)".
- If I add "registered" in the "guest" access group, the problem is that Subscribers users see the whole A, B, C, D content that is not good and confusing.

Is that setup possible?

I have tried many different solutions in the past days but didn't come to a proper setup.

Thanks a lot for any help.

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Help with showing different content to Guest, Registered, Subscribers

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:37 am

Create a new group as a child of Registered and sibling of Subscribers.

Make new users member of this group instead of Registered

mariopg
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by mariopg » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:05 am

Per Yngve Berg wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:37 am
Create a new group as a child of Registered and sibling of Subscribers.

Make new users member of this group instead of Registered
Thanks a lot for your suggestion.

If I do as you say, let's say group "Welcome Kit" (child of "Registered" and sibling of "Subscribers") they would not be able to see the "Lessons overview (for Guest group) > Access to Guest." as described in my OP point "B", am I right?

The "Welcome Kit" should be able to still see the "lessons overview" because they are not yet "subscribers"

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:17 pm

In the "lessons overview" access level, tick both "Welcome Kit" and Guest Group.

mariopg
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by mariopg » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:09 am

Per Yngve Berg wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:17 pm
In the "lessons overview" access level, tick both "Welcome Kit" and Guest Group.
Hello, sorry for the late answer, I could not arrange to make tests until today... anyway I created a group "KIT" under Registered group, and Access Level "Kit" with ticked both KIT and Guest, but the Guest content are not showing. I think that Guest is automatically hidden when a user is Registered.

I am really struggling to make all this logic work...

EDIT: I think I have managed to find a solution, but I had to use the features of a paid extension (already in use in the site). When a new user registers it will be assigned to more groups: Kit and Guest, when will upgrade su Subscriber it will be removed from Guest, keep Kit, add to Subscribers group, this way it is all working but I really could not figure it out how to do the same with the basic Joomla ACL. Probably is my limit.

Thanks anyway for the help and suggestions.

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:40 pm

mariopg wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:09 am
I created a group "KIT" under Registered group, and Access Level "Kit" with ticked both KIT and Guest, but the Guest content are not showing. I think that Guest is automatically hidden when a user is Registered.
In the Options in User Manager:

Set Visitors that are not logged in to Group Guest.
Set new users to be member of group KIT, changed from Registered. All user that you create in the future will be member of KIT.

A visitor not logged should see Items that have access level "KIT" as group Guest is included.
New Users logged in will also see Items that have access level "KIT" as group KIT is included. They will also see all items that have a access level with Registered included as they inherit. They will not see any with access level Guest. Set items to KIT, not Guest.

Remove KIT and add Subscriber when user upgrade.

PS. It will make more sense to name the access level "Guest and KIT" instead of just KIT.

Return to “Access Control List (ACL) in Joomla! 3.x”