Use Videos instead of Article Images?

For Joomla! 3.x Coding related discussions, you could also use: http://groups.google.com/group/joomla-dev-general

Moderators: ooffick, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
xxsunshinegodxx
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Use Videos instead of Article Images?

Post by xxsunshinegodxx » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:30 pm

Hi there,

Does anyone know of a way to use a video instead of an article image? I can imagine it would require some core file changes but I would be interested to know if anyone has a solution for this?

It would be a great addition if rather than just having the options to add article intro image and article main image that you could choose whether this was an image or a video.

I realise video is easy enough to embed in to articles but I am specifically interested in just simply being able to select either a video or an image to the intro and main image positions in standard joomla articles.

Any help greatly appreciated

ranwilli
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Use Videos instead of Article Images?

Post by ranwilli » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:10 am

There's no reason you can't upload videos to media manager, but there are lots of good reasons to embed a video from [youtube] et al. instead.
Don't HACK the Joomla! core, Instead "Extend" and/or "Override."
Stay ON the update path.
https://harpervance.com

JWeiry
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by JWeiry » Tue May 07, 2013 4:17 am

Edit: Sorry for posting in old thread, but i believe comment relevant.

I actually have to agree with this suggestion.

I absolutely love the feature of being able to how intro and full article images per article, but i do find that the 'image only' aspect is a little lacking.

Would be great to see an option here to either say, select an image (or video) from the media manager, but also provide some way of being able to link a video as the intro.

For example:

Say you have a list of blog-type articles being listed on your site, and you are displaying the intro images for each article to display better content to your users. This is quite useful and provides the users with instant feed.

Being also able to show a video in this location, i believe, would also be of great benefit.

I am looking at doing this currently using html template overrides and the article link options.

mmbelieve
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by mmbelieve » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:22 pm

Did you have any luck in finding an extension or module for this Sunshine/Jweiry? I need the same option for a site I am building.

Again I would think this to be a very much needed function or at least somebody else has done an extension :S

JWeiry
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by JWeiry » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:42 pm

Actually I believe I have seen something similar recently in a template from ThemeForest.

Picked up a template for use on a client site and it was in the preview.

http://rivers-joomla25.ws-theme.com/ind ... ntent/blog

The template system behind the scenes can read this tag in the "images and links" "intro image" and "full article image" comment sections

Code: Select all

{vimeo | 1084537}
I don't know about [youtube] support though as we haven't needed to used it yet. But maybe this is the way to look at doing it, I just can't remember if J3 has that comment box for the intro and full article images.

jazzking2001
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by jazzking2001 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:16 am

I am hoping that someone may have an idea how to do this, i am hoping to do this myself.
http://www.neocrisis.com/ - What will you find Next?

effrit
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by effrit » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:20 am

What the problem?
Make override for article template view and check if image field have special word(s), then replace it for specific code.

effrit
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by effrit » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:24 pm

the easiest solution is - custom fields.
make one of "text" type, paste here [youtube] video id (B4dDwlthuDQ), for example.
install and activate plugin flexiy outube.
so now you can just insert this in your article template (make override):

echo JHTML::_('content.prepare', "{basicy_outube}".$this->item->jcfields[1]->rawvalue."{/basicy_outube}");

(delete _ in basicy_outube, the forum replaces '[youtube]' so i insert it)

where jcfields [1] - id of your custom field.

Return to “Joomla! 3.x Coding”