Admin menu management

For Joomla! 3.x Coding related discussions, you could also use: http://groups.google.com/group/joomla-dev-general

Moderators: ooffick, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
kmchen
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Admin menu management

Post by kmchen » Tue May 29, 2018 11:06 am

Hi,

I'm developping a component on joomla 3. The xml describes an admin menu item as follows:

<administration>
<!-- Administration Menu Section -->
<menu link='index.php?option=com_jres' img="">COM_JRES_MENU</menu>
<!-- Administration Main File Copy Section -->

The menu appears on my development system but not on the external production system. Both systems are Debian stretch/joomla 3.8.6

Until Joomla 1.5 admin menus were easy to control with some database manipulations. Now things look complicated and no serious documentation jumps out. How can I make the menu appear ?

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Admin menu management

Post by toivo » Tue May 29, 2018 12:22 pm

Here is an example of a menu entry with a submenu:

Code: Select all

<administration>
		<menu>COM_EXTENSION_MENU</menu>
			<submenu>
				<menu link="option=com_extension&view=summary">COM_EXTENSION_SUBMENU_SUMMARY</menu>
				<menu link="option=com_extension&view=contentlink">COM_EXTENSION_SUBMENU_CONTENTLINK</menu>
			</submenu>
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

kmchen
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by kmchen » Thu May 31, 2018 8:17 am

Thanks for answering. The problem is not about building an xml menu but finding how the same extra simple configuration I shown doesn't respond the same on the production machine and my local one.

In other words how and where components menu are managed and processed, a table in database that I could verify ?
Is the xml file rescaned when I reactivate or regenerate cache ?
Last edited by kmchen on Thu May 31, 2018 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Thu May 31, 2018 9:05 am

I doubt the menu items are going to appear unless they have been configured in the XML manifest.

The menu entries can be found from the menu table.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

kmchen
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by kmchen » Thu May 31, 2018 11:22 am

I exported the menu I had in Local menu mysql table and imported it in production. Menu appeared but untranslated.
Adding the languages files in the xml and "regenerating the cache" in componenent management did the thing.

But I still don't know why the menu were not loaded on production side...and it's far to be the only strange behavior on Joomla 3

Joomla 1.0 was excellent in its time and I still have website runing on it. Very much strong than all newer versions. Everything works like a charm without surprises and entering in code permits to understand how it works quickly equilibrating the lack of serious documentation. The quality decreased at each release with unecessary changes forcing developers to constantly learn new rules and ways and documentation went worst and worst.
Today I realize that working on Joomla after one year needs a lot of relearning time. I'm seriously thinking about changing of framework for my next developments.

Return to “Joomla! 3.x Coding”