Dynamically generated slideshow

For Joomla! 3.x Coding related discussions, you could also use: http://groups.google.com/group/joomla-dev-general

Moderators: ooffick, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
adams1
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Dynamically generated slideshow

Post by adams1 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:25 am

This may be a programming related issue.

Hi! Is it possible with any extension to generate a slideshow dynamically based on some values (fields) of a classifed ads extension's database table (and also by those values different images would be loaded into the slideshow, from a specific directory)?
For example I want the 5 most popular products appear in the slideshow (the proper text from the table, the proper images from a directory), but of course not always the same products get the most hits.
If any extension is inappropriate, should it be programmed individually?

waarnemer
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Re: Dynamically generated slideshow

Post by waarnemer » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:36 pm

if you mean products as in an e-shopping module you may want to check with your e-shop developers..

if you mean products as in articles you can maybe create an alternative view to the most popular articles module..

adams1
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by adams1 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:08 am

i think the first, but it is not an e-shop, it is a classified ads
they are not articles

waarnemer
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by waarnemer » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:50 am

Well, I don't know how your classified ads extension works but if there is something in the db storing the "popularity" of your add, creation of some alternate view or maybe creating your own module is possible.

adams1
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by adams1 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:59 am

waarnemer wrote:Well, I don't know how your classified ads extension works but if there is something in the db storing the "popularity" of your add, creation of some alternate view or maybe creating your own module is possible.
Yes, the db table stores the "popularity". What is an alternate view? Thanks!

waarnemer
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by waarnemer » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:05 am

That is template technology.
If you would look into the folder tree of modules and components, there usually is a folder called "view". These folders hold the files that create the final output of that particular extension.
One can create overrides for these views in the template.

https://docs.joomla.org/Special:MyLangu ... omla!_core
But also trhough (not my preferred though) https://docs.joomla.org/J3.x:How_to_use ... _Overrides
The latter makes a copy of the files to the template html folder for you.. but doesn't create the alternative.
The usual file is called "default.php" any file with another name in that same folder is an alternative view.

You can set an alternative view in the "advanced" tab -> layout for modules (options for components)

Now that is for the alternative view...

Most of the time the html and placeholders/strings are in default.php.. so with some html knowledge you can change the output.. if you are lucky, (some of) the intelligence is there too... if you know your way in PHP, HTML (and maybe some mySQL) you can create an alternative view showing the most popular..

I use this when there is some output different than core but can rely on the same config data in the mamager.
If it requires different config, I do create a custom module.
It isn't much harder than creating an override...

adams1
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by adams1 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:09 pm

Thanks, though already known the override technology

Return to “Joomla! 3.x Coding”