Where are ALL the coders?

For Joomla! 3.x Coding related discussions, you could also use: http://groups.google.com/group/joomla-dev-general

Moderators: ooffick, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
donnan
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Where are ALL the coders?

Post by donnan » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:00 am

Hi guys,

Where are all the coders?

Seems this forum is the only place to get help. Hanging out in Coding 3 is a waste of time.

I am trying to get help on INSERT/UPDATE. If record exists don't INSERT, just UPDATE.
Last edited by toivo on Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod note: moved from General Questions/New to Joomla! 3.x - please use the 3.x Coding forum for questions about coding

H13
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: Where are ALL the coders?

Post by H13 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:17 am

There are two ways:

1) SELECT the item from database and if there the item does not exist then INSERT new row, if it exists then UPDATE the row (PHP + SQL solution)

2) or MySQL way: INSERT INTO table (id, title, ...) VALUES(1, "Title", ...) ON DUPLICATE KEY UPDATE
title = "Title", ... (SQL only solution)

Jan
- Phoca Cart - Joomla eCommerce App - https://www.phoca.cz/phocacart
- Phoca Gallery - powerful image gallery
- Phoca Restaurant Menu - https://www.phoca.cz/phocamenu
- Phoca Download - download manager for Joomla

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:52 am

donnan wrote:Hanging out in Coding 3 is a waste of time.
Not a waste of time. Your timezone is a disadvantage (I was a Sydneysider for 25 years), there are annual holidays and some experts may want to have a life, too.

Please observe the forum rules and post coding questions to the coding forum. The rules are there for everyone's benefit:
Post your comment/question to the most appropriate place. Any posts deemed to be in the wrong forum will be moved. Do not cross-post the same question to multiple places.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

donnan
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by donnan » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:07 pm

I have been a member here for 11 years and it is so sad to see the support for Joomla has disappeared. It's frustrating when posting in a forum where the only chance of help is to wait 6 to 8 hours. I have helped many people over the years in the joomla forums and it is very sad to see it decline. Thanks again for your help toivo.

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:22 pm

donnan wrote:Where are all the coders?

Seems the [General Questions/New to Joomla! 3.x] forum [category] is the only place to get help. [Waiting for help] in [the Joomla! 3.x Coding forum category] is a waste of time.

I am trying to get help on INSERT/UPDATE. If record exists don't INSERT, just UPDATE.
There are two issues here—perhaps one question and someone's observations on the situation that person finds himself in. The first (and only) question could be restated as "where are all the coders (and why they're not promptly replying to other topics asked by the OP)?"

Keep in mind that Joomla is an open-source project and that the forum exists only because people willingly volunteer their time, everyone in this community has their own priorities, expertise and ability to help as they choose. Some questions are easier to answer than others and there are all kinds of discussion where people are able to contribute, or not, as they choose.
donnan wrote:I have been a member here for 11 years and it is so sad to see the support for Joomla has disappeared. It's frustrating when posting in a forum where the only chance of help is to wait 6 to 8 hours. I have helped many people over the years in the joomla forums and it is very sad to see it decline. Thanks again for your help toivo.
I'm sorry that you feel the way you do about waiting 6 to 8 hours for a reply to your questions. There are many other people who wait 6 to 8 days (or weeks or months) and are unable to resolve their difficulties via this public, volunteer-driven, discussion forum. That's the reality. In fact, a 6- to 8-hour response time is pretty darn good when most commercial support services—services that people pay for—strive for a 24-hour "best effort" response, true?

Like you, I have been using Joomla for a long time and I appreciate the responses from everyone who contributes to what I write on this forum. I disagree that "support" for Joomla has "disappeared" considering that over 100 releases of the CMS have occurred over the past 10 years. Each release (occurring on an average of every six weeks) is in response to reported problems and the result of those who freely give their time resolve those problems. On the whole, each new release is an improvement over previous releases. I think that asserting that support for Joomla has "disappeared" shows a lack of courtesy and respect towards those who voluntarily offer their time in resolving (or trying to resolve) reported problems. Furthermore, I believe the facts—that there have been 100 releases of Joomla in the past 10 years—disprove the belief that "support" has evaporated.

To be realistic, we can't solve every problem as soon as we discover one, can we?

Furthermore, every problem needs to be assessed in terms of its importance, criticality and reach (i.e. does it affect a lot of people or does the issue concern one or two people) and, remembering that there are 1.5 billion websites in the world (and, perhaps 25 million of them are developed in Joomla) and that there's no reward (or even thanks) for the efforts a few people give to others, everyone has their own opinion in prioritising those matters.

Also, as @toivo has pointed out, cross-posting is against the forum rules. I think you've asked about a specific problem you're having in two other places:
  1. viewtopic.php?f=727&t=963360
  2. viewtopic.php?f=727&t=963391
I don't think it helps to resolve your database query question(s) by attempting to have those discussions here, in a third place.

I've tried to address the subject of this topic, namely a general discussion about the absence of "coders" as opposed to discussing a question relating, specifically, to problems with someone's "code"? Others can address other explicit or implied concerns that the OP has, as they choose.

Cheers. :)

donnan
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by donnan » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:52 pm

My opinion and you're right 6-8 days/weeks/months. It is sad to see such a great project not getting the support it once had.

CookieOfficial5
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by CookieOfficial5 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:23 pm

I will say this I have been with Joomla Less than you but I have found the support much better than many other CMS I have used in the past. Any time I have had an issue I have found an answer and fixed the error myself. I have had some errors where I have opened topics but I get a response in an appropriate time frame. One CMS I paid support with couldn't even fix my issue.

Return to “Joomla! 3.x Coding”