I decided to post this as I saw many posts suggesting that PostgreSQL is a "waste of time" or not working in some way. I did have a minor issue (shown below with the solution), but it turned out it was a very simple process.
It was great news to see that Joomla was supporting PostgreSQL so I decided to setup Joomla 3.0.1 on a vanilla MacOS X Server 10.8.2 since it appears to have all the prerequisites out of the box:
- Apache 2.2 (requires 2.x)
- PHP 5.3.15 (requires 5.3.1+)
- PostgreSQL 9.1.5 (requires 8.3.18+)
I downloaded Joomla 3.0.1, setup a new website using Apple's Server application, pointed the browser to it and presto... the Joomla 3 installer.
After completing Step 1 (Configuration) and clicking next I was presented with Step 2 (Database). I fired up PGAdmin, created a new database in PostgreSQL then completed the Step 2 (Database) and clicked "Next". Step 3 (Overview) looked good and I opted to Install the sample data since I'm a beginner with Joomla and clicked "Install".
The progress bar started moving, then stopped with an error and presented me with Step 2 (Database) again. I gather this was because the error was database related.
Looking at the database, 61 tables have been created and populated with the data from joomla.sql - so it looks like it's working up to that point.
The error it presented was: Some errors occurred while populating the database: JLIB_DATABASE_QUERY_FAILED SQL=SELECT setval('joomlaTest_viewlevels_id_seq', 4, false)
The PostgreSQL log showed a number of errors for each of the sequence setval's:
Code: Select all
2012-10-16 09:22:27 EST ERROR: relation "joomlatest_user_notes_id_seq" does not exist at character 16 2012-10-16 09:22:27 EST ERROR: relation "joomlatest_viewlevels_id_seq" does not exist at character 16
As an aside, line 2328 of joomla.sql (the line producing the error) is setting the viewlevel_id_seq to 4, however the preceeding insert has already created a row with ID set to 5. Don't take this as gospel, but I remember reading somewhere that dump_all on version 8.something was occasionally giving incorrect values for sequences. Anyway, I changed this to 6 and saved before re-running the installer.
So far it's all looking good, I can connect to the Admin and Front ends of the new site and can browse the sample content. As I'm new to Joomla I'll keep playing and let you know if I find any issues.
Joomla 3 looks great - thanks everyone for the fantastic work.
If anyone is interested I can post a complete HowTo for MacOS X Server and Joomla 3 since I've glossed over the finer details in this post.