Joomla 3.0.1 on MacOS X Server 10.8 with PostgreSQL

Did you find a bug in Joomla! 3.x but aren't sure? This forum is the place to help figure out if the problem is a bug and how to report it. If you are an experienced Joomla! user and are certain that you have found a bug please use the Bug Tracker to submit your issue.
This forum is for discussion about bugs and to get help with reporting them to the Bug Tracker: https://issues.joomla.org

Moderator: ooffick

Forum rules
Please use the official Bug Tracker to report a bug: https://issues.joomla.org
JupiterJones
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Joomla 3.0.1 on MacOS X Server 10.8 with PostgreSQL

Post by JupiterJones » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:57 pm

Hi Team :)

I decided to post this as I saw many posts suggesting that PostgreSQL is a "waste of time" or not working in some way. I did have a minor issue (shown below with the solution), but it turned out it was a very simple process.

It was great news to see that Joomla was supporting PostgreSQL so I decided to setup Joomla 3.0.1 on a vanilla MacOS X Server 10.8.2 since it appears to have all the prerequisites out of the box:

- Apache 2.2 (requires 2.x)
- PHP 5.3.15 (requires 5.3.1+)
- PostgreSQL 9.1.5 (requires 8.3.18+)

I downloaded Joomla 3.0.1, setup a new website using Apple's Server application, pointed the browser to it and presto... the Joomla 3 installer.

After completing Step 1 (Configuration) and clicking next I was presented with Step 2 (Database). I fired up PGAdmin, created a new database in PostgreSQL then completed the Step 2 (Database) and clicked "Next". Step 3 (Overview) looked good and I opted to Install the sample data since I'm a beginner with Joomla and clicked "Install".

The progress bar started moving, then stopped with an error and presented me with Step 2 (Database) again. I gather this was because the error was database related.

Looking at the database, 61 tables have been created and populated with the data from joomla.sql - so it looks like it's working up to that point.

The error it presented was: Some errors occurred while populating the database: JLIB_DATABASE_QUERY_FAILED SQL=SELECT setval('joomlaTest_viewlevels_id_seq', 4, false)

The PostgreSQL log showed a number of errors for each of the sequence setval's:

Code: Select all

2012-10-16 09:22:27 EST ERROR:  relation "joomlatest_user_notes_id_seq" does not exist at character 16
2012-10-16 09:22:27 EST ERROR:  relation "joomlatest_viewlevels_id_seq" does not exist at character 16
This is true since my prefix was joomlaTest (with a capital T). I changed my table prefix to all lower case and the installer completed without error.

As an aside, line 2328 of joomla.sql (the line producing the error) is setting the viewlevel_id_seq to 4, however the preceeding insert has already created a row with ID set to 5. Don't take this as gospel, but I remember reading somewhere that dump_all on version 8.something was occasionally giving incorrect values for sequences. Anyway, I changed this to 6 and saved before re-running the installer.

So far it's all looking good, I can connect to the Admin and Front ends of the new site and can browse the sample content. As I'm new to Joomla I'll keep playing and let you know if I find any issues.

Joomla 3 looks great - thanks everyone for the fantastic work.

If anyone is interested I can post a complete HowTo for MacOS X Server and Joomla 3 since I've glossed over the finer details in this post.

Cheers,

Jupiter
Last edited by imanickam on Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved the post from the forum Installation Joomla! 3.0 to the forum Joomla! 3.0 Bug Reporting

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Joomla 3.0.1 on MacOS X Server 10.8 with PostgreSQL

Post by Webdongle » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:10 am

You do know that J3.0.1 is not for live sites ?
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"When I'm right no one remembers but when I'm wrong no one forgets".

JupiterJones
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by JupiterJones » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:23 am

Hi Webdongle,

Yes, thanks. I assumed that since it was just released, it would be a little while before it was ready for prime time.

Being a Joomla fledgling (as I see in my profile) I decided to start by learning 3 rather than 2.x. and have a project to work on for a friend that will need to be published sometime next year. I'm assuming (perhaps incorrectly) that by then (say march or april), a number of the bugs will have been ironed out, and a number of themes and extensions will also be available. Is this a reasonable assumption?

Thanks for your reply.

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:46 am

JupiterJones wrote:... I decided to start by learning 3 rather than 2.x. and have a project to work on for a friend that will need to be published sometime next year. I'm assuming (perhaps incorrectly) that by then (say march or april), a number of the bugs will have been ironed out, and a number of themes and extensions will also be available. Is this a reasonable assumption?

Not quite ... 2.5.x is LTS(Long Term Support) and 3.5.0 will be the next LTS. In between 2.5 and 3.5 there is a 6 monthly cycle of STS versions.

So x.5.x versions are LTS and x.0.x are STS. The STS releases are designed for testing and not for live sites. The STS releases give the developers of extensions time to adjust their code ready for the next LTS.

If you are not going live until around April next year and test the 3.0.x STS updates on a test server ... then perhaps you could 3.0. But myself I would always use a LTS for a live site.
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"When I'm right no one remembers but when I'm wrong no one forgets".

JupiterJones
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by JupiterJones » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:51 am

Cool - thanks for the clarification. I'll also setup 2.5 and work with both for now.

oslicku
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by oslicku » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:26 am

I'm currently working on a site ready for production using 3.0.

I appreciate that this isn't a LTS release but if you don't need masses of 3rd party extensions and templates then as long as the site is secure I don't see any reason not to use 3.0 in production.

Just saying...

Adam

sovainfo
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sovainfo » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:37 am

Your assumptions are very reasonable to me. Considering you are starting to build your website and will test everything, there is no problem untill you run into one. With UI and PostgresSQL being new it is likely you run into problems , as you reported already. Looks like you are capable to deal with them.

Haven't experienced problems with MySQL using capitals in the prefix. Would expect the driver to take care of that. Is it a problem for PostfgreSQL?

Don't know why they keep putting ID numbers in, they should be left to database management system.
Issue with migrating? Include logs/joomla_update.php in your report!
Blank screen? Verify pagesource for HTML code (javascript error)
Installation failing on populating database? Install with set_time_limit(0)
Document your customizations!

Return to “Joomla! 3.x Bug Reporting”