Customizing fields form.

Did you find a bug in Joomla! 3.x but aren't sure? This forum is the place to help figure out if the problem is a bug and how to report it. If you are an experienced Joomla! user and are certain that you have found a bug please use the Bug Tracker to submit your issue.
This forum is for discussion about bugs and to get help with reporting them to the Bug Tracker: https://issues.joomla.org

Moderator: ooffick

Forum rules
Please use the official Bug Tracker to report a bug: https://issues.joomla.org
moje
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Customizing fields form.

Post by moje » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:13 pm

For me it's a bug, a big nasty bug.

I can't customize fields form in my template. I want remove

Code: Select all

<span class="star">&#160;*</span>
from label, add custom class to label and input, add custom attributes to label and input. Now I can use only this.:

$this->form->getLabel('this_same_name');
$this->form->getInput('this_same_name');
Or it is something I dont know?

IMHO it should be something like this:

$form->gL-this_same_name-id;
$form->gL-this_same_name-class;
$form->gL-this_same_name-for;
$form->gL-this_same_name-title;
$form->gL-this_same_name-text;
$form->gL-this_same_name-atribs;
$form->gI-this_same_name-id;
$form->gI-this_same_name-class;
$form->gI-this_same_name-name;
$form->gI-this_same_name-value;
$form->gI-this_same_name-atribs;
Good gods of Joomla! Can you fix it and give us Joomla! 3.0.3 with ability of full customizing?

sitesrus
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: Customizing fields form.

Post by sitesrus » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:46 pm

I'm not sure what you're trying to do. What are you trying to customize? Your contact form, profile fields?

You can write plugins for profile fields....and for your contact form you can override com_contact in the appropriate override section available in joomla templates. Read up on both.

More details would help me help you.
I like working with Joomla :)

moje
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by moje » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:42 pm

I'm using template override but my customizations are restricted by using:

<?php echo $this->form->getLabel('contact_name'); ?>

<?php echo $this->form->getInput('contact_name'); ?>
It's give this html code:

<label id="jform_contact_name-lbl" for="jform_contact_name" class="hasTip required" title="Nazwa::Twoja nazwa">Nazwa<span class="star">&#160;*</span></label>

<input type="text" name="jform[contact_name]" id="jform_contact_name" value="" class="required" size="30"/>
I can't do something like this:

<label id="<?php echo $form->gL-this_same_name-id; ?>" for="<?php echo $form->gL-this_same_name-for; ?>" class="my-own-super-label-class <?php echo $form->gL-this_same_name-class; ?>" title="<?php echo $form->gL-this_same_name-title; ?>" <?php echo $form->gL-this_same_name-atribs; ?>><?php echo $form->gL-this_same_name-text; ?></label>

<input type="text" name="<?php echo $form->gI-this_same_name-name; ?>" id="<?php echo $form->gI-this_same_name-id; ?>" value="<?php echo $form->gI-this_same_name-value; ?>" class="my-own-super-input-class <?php echo $form->gI-this_same_name-class; ?>" size="30"/>
Or this:

<label id="<?php echo $form->gL-this_same_name-id; ?>" for="<?php echo $form->gL-this_same_name-for; ?>" class="only-my-own-super-label-class" title="only my own title" <?php echo $form->gL-this_same_name-atribs; ?>><?php echo $form->gL-this_same_name-text; ?></label>

<input type="text" name="<?php echo $form->gI-this_same_name-name; ?>" id="<?php echo $form->gI-this_same_name-id; ?>" value="<?php echo $form->gI-this_same_name-value; ?>" class="only-my-own-super-input-class" placeholder="my own text" size="30"/>
No matter that is it a contact form, login form or another form, developer should have ability to customize it.

For me it's a bug ; )

sitesrus
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by sitesrus » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:20 pm

lol, no sorry.

standard code so Joomla can use it. Ohterwise write your own component, module, plugin, etc.

Sorry.

moje
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by moje » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:51 pm

Where is sense of using template override, when you can't override a simple label and input?

Good work Joomla! team. Everybody love senseless code and senseless solutions.

sitesrus
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by sitesrus » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:55 pm

Just use CSS to style the form the way you need to, or write your own contact form, or override the contact form?

I really don't understand why it's essential you have to do this? What benefit do you gain? Use jquery to do whatever you want clientside...it's easy and can manipulate the DOM?

There's a solution!

cynazem
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by cynazem » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:45 pm

I understand both!

It's great to have a standard code and be able to override it!
But it would be also great if the function getInput() had a parameter to insert a "placeholder" attribute to the input element.

Return to “Joomla! 3.x Bug Reporting”