Failing to use language .ini files [3.7.3]

Did you find a bug in Joomla! 3.x but aren't sure? This forum is the place to help figure out if the problem is a bug and how to report it. If you are an experienced Joomla! user and are certain that you have found a bug please use the Bug Tracker to submit your issue.
This forum is for discussion about bugs and to get help with reporting them to the Bug Tracker: https://issues.joomla.org

Moderator: ooffick

Forum rules
Please use the official Bug Tracker to report a bug: https://issues.joomla.org
Post Reply
EvanGR
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast
Posts: 224
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:30 pm
Location: Greece

Failing to use language .ini files [3.7.3]

Post by EvanGR » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:53 am

Hello,

I have, so far, updated 3 Joomla websites from 3.6.5 to 3.7.3. In one of them, I ran into a translation problem as reported here:
viewtopic.php?f=9&p=3484056#p3484045

In short: all of the admin panel strings are shown as untranslated code-names.

Turns out this was a known issue with previews 3.7.x releases: https://github.com/joomla/joomla-cms/issues/15587

I can confirm it is still happening with 3.7.3, at least on one installation.

I replaced all language directories (admin + frontend) with the default Joomla ones, in case of invalid .ini files... this made no change.

I fixed this problem by editing language.php file, and reverting to the 3.6.x way of parsing .ini files.

It seems as if the statement

Code: Select all

if (!function_exists('parse_ini_file'))
in line 833, is pushing the new way of parsing (wrongly), even though parse_ini_file is shown as disabled in the Joomla report.

Let me know if I can assist more in troubleshooting this issue.

Thanks

EvanGR
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast
Posts: 224
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:30 pm
Location: Greece

Re: Failing to use language .ini files [3.7.3]

Post by EvanGR » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:02 pm

Issue still stands for J3.7.4.

Managed to narrow it down to PHP 5.6.x on my hosting provider.
Switching to either PHP 5.5 or PHP 7 eliminates the issue.


Post Reply

Return to “Joomla! 3.x Bug Reporting”