Mail test: Warning - The email was sent but using PHP Mail as a fallback Topic is solved

Did you find a bug in Joomla! 3.x but aren't sure? This forum is the place to help figure out if the problem is a bug and how to report it. If you are an experienced Joomla! user and are certain that you have found a bug please use the Bug Tracker to submit your issue.
This forum is for discussion about bugs and to get help with reporting them to the Bug Tracker: https://issues.joomla.org

Moderator: ooffick

Forum rules
Please use the official Bug Tracker to report a bug: https://issues.joomla.org
De Giosa
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Mail test: Warning - The email was sent but using PHP Mail as a fallback

Post by De Giosa » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:23 am

Good morning,
I upgraded my sites to Joomla! ver. 3.9.23 and I made the test of sending email via
backend-> global configuration -> Server the "Email Function" settings are set to SMTP with all fields filled in correctly to send emails from the site in fact before the last update by clicking on the "Send test mail" button appeared in high the message with a green background for sending the email successfully, now the message appears on a yellow background:
"Warning - The email was sent to [email protected] but using PHP Mail as a fallback. You should check that you have received the test email."

ps: I replaced the real email address with "x".

I think it is a wrong "Attention" message as I checked the test emails and those sent by a form installed on the site that uses the Joomla! and in the header of the test email there is "893: class.phpmailer.php" while in the header of the form email does not appear the words "893: class.phpmailer.php".

In this way, however, the usefulness of the test is lost as apparently it no longer verifies the SMTP settings entered as it always sends with the PHP mail function.
Last edited by toivo on Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod note: moved from 3.x General Questions

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Mail test: Warning - The email was sent but using PHP Mail as a fallback

Post by toivo » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:07 am

Welcome to the Joomla forum!

It looks like you found a bug that was somehow introduced in Joomla 3.9.23.

Confirmed the behaviour on a remote site. A localhost site on Windows 10 has also stopped working:

test-mail.jpg

The same workstation runs Joomla 4 Beta6-dev with the same SMTP settings and sends the test mail all right.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:25 am

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:52 pm

Here is the explanation of the new behaviour, probably in relation to one of the security fixes, still to be assigned a CVE number:
The reason for this is the new security feature to not display the smtp (and all other) passwords again in the configuration.

This means you have to reenter your password to test it normal operation should work fine.
The SMTP password is greyed out in the Mail Configuration. Enter it again and the test mail is sent all right.

gsmela
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by gsmela » Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:26 pm

toivo wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:52 pm

The SMTP password is greyed out in the Mail Configuration. Enter it again and the test mail is sent all right.
I tried this and it wouldn't work. (Multiple accounts.) The only way i could get SMTP mail to be sent is by not requiring authentication. I prefer to use SMTP mail rather than php mail. Isn't that what's recommended?

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:51 pm

SMTP mail continues to work all right, for example Mass Mail. The only difference in 3.9.23 is the absence of the SMTP password from the form when Global Configuration is displayed.

If you want to send the test mail, just enter the correct password and click the button.

DaveOzric
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by DaveOzric » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:13 pm

Updated to 3.9.24 and the issue is resolved on my sites.

Return to “Joomla! 3.x Bug Reporting”