Extensions: Database - Why do we still have to "Fix" manually?

The mission of the Joomla User Experience Team (JUX Team) is to create a great overall user experience for Joomla site administrators, thereby giving site users the same. We approach UX with a process, including defining the interaction design, information architecture, usability requirements, visual design through user research, mobile content and accessibility.

Get involved now with the JUX Team activities in the JUX Forum and find out more about official Working Groups on the documentation wiki.

Moderator: ooffick

Forum rules
pkortge
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Extensions: Database - Why do we still have to "Fix" manually?

Post by pkortge » Sat May 27, 2017 10:23 am

Hi:

I run a hosting company and we host hundreds of Joomla! sites - and to keep from getting too bored, I also develop small websites for some clients to keep me abreast of what's happening with Joomla!

However, over the last few weeks, I and my clients, are being "bombarded" with hourly emails from Joomla! sites saying "Joomla! Update available for …"

However, in every case our Server's [Installatron] application has indeed updated the Joomla! site to the latest version but the Joomla! [Extensions: Database] says:-

++++++
Warning
Warning: Database is not up to date!

1 Database problem Found.

Database schema version (3.7.2) does not match CMS version (3.7.0-2017-04-19).

++++++

forcing me (or client) to manually login to the Joomla! Admin backend and go menu [Extensions] -> [Manage] -> [Database] and then click on the [Fix] button !

Really, why should I or anyone have to do this in this day & age?

Why doesn't Joomla! just "fix" the database if there is something wrong? e.g. Running a script to do this immediately after every update?

Hoping you can fix this problem in an upcoming release of Joomla!?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards …

Peter KORTGE
http://www.blackfire.com.au
Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Extensions: Database - Why do we still have to "Fix" manually?

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Sat May 27, 2017 10:35 am

pkortge wrote:However, in every case our Server's [Installatron] application has indeed updated the Joomla! site to the latest version but the Joomla! [Extensions: Database] says:-

The core Joomla Updater do update the database. It must be your application that do the update wrong or have a bug.

pkortge
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by pkortge » Sat May 27, 2017 10:46 am

Hi:

Thanks for the very prompt response :-)

However, it is not "our" application that's doing the upgrade, rather it is a commercial cPanel Server plugin from Installatron that lot's of Hosting companies use.

I'm happy to submit a "Bug Report" to them if you're saying they are at fault?

However, I still see no need for anyone to have to manually login to the Joomla! Admin just to "click a button" - especially if there is nothing we need to do/fix BEFORE before we click said [Fix] button.
Regards …

Peter KORTGE
Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Sat May 27, 2017 11:34 am

I'am not familiar with them. I would say contacting their support is the correct thing to do.

pkortge
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by pkortge » Sat May 27, 2017 12:01 pm

Hi:

Have just now created a Support Ticket with Installatron to have this problem fixed.

However, I think that the issue of an End User having to "fix" a Joomla! "error" that doesn't require them to look into the problem is silly.

As such, can you please pass on the suggestion to the relevant Joomla! people to :-

"look into the "logic" of these Database Errors, and if there is nothing a User needs to do (other than clicking the [Fix] button), then Joomla! needs to be changed to fix the error(s) automatically?

Thanks & regards …
Regards …

Peter KORTGE

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Sat May 27, 2017 12:53 pm

If all updates are done automatically, why don't you disable the Upgrade Notification Plugin on the sites?

If the issue is not caused by Installatron, there is the possibility that the max_execution_time is to short on the server causing the upgrade to be interrupted before it's finished. Do you use the default 30 seconds? This is a border value. Works OK mostly, but causes problems on slow servers. How many sites do it upgrade simultaneously? That may have an impact on server load.

deleted user

Post by deleted user » Sat May 27, 2017 2:05 pm

The only time there is a need to hit that Fix button is when something has gone wrong. And at that point, it should be a manual action, not the system trying to automatically do something without notifying the user. If you perform updates through the core update component, or the manual upgrade instructions listed in my signature (not officially supported, but something I whipped up to ensure users who were trying to run manual upgrades for whatever reason had a resource to make sure they did the upgrades right), generally you should never get that type of error. So for me, right now all signs are pointing to the upgrade mechanism you're using not doing something right.

Return to “User eXperience (UX)”