Usability and Admin-Templates

The mission of the Joomla User Experience Team (JUX Team) is to create a great overall user experience for Joomla site administrators, thereby giving site users the same. We approach UX with a process, including defining the interaction design, information architecture, usability requirements, visual design through user research, mobile content and accessibility.

Get involved now with the JUX Team activities in the JUX Forum and find out more about official Working Groups on the documentation wiki.

Moderator: ooffick

Forum rules
Lori19
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Usability and Admin-Templates

Post by Lori19 » Fri May 24, 2019 6:43 am

Hi there

For my work, I often have to set up websites, that have more of a portal character. Naturally, I prefer Joomla :-)
Recently, I noted a trend, that many component builders start using their own template in the administrator section. If it were just for myself, I can deal with it. But I usually train my clients to run their website themselves (I don't want to post articles or send out newsletters for them). For them, it's quite a challenge to deal with these layout changes. When they finally grasped the look and feel of the core Joomla - and want to extend the functionality with some extensions - they are confronted with a completely different layout in the administrator section: different colours, different positions of the buttons etc.

I can appreciate the reasoning of the developers to come up with their own admin template ( branding, uniqueness, probably some limitations of the core template etc). But I think if every component looks different the general usability loses.

I would therefore appeal to the developers to deliberate their decision very carefully whether to implement a proprietary template or not.

I'm curious the hear your thougths about this.

Kindly,
Lorenz

paulala
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Re: Usability and Admin-Templates

Post by paulala » Fri May 24, 2019 7:42 am

Or even make it possible to readopt the default Joomla interface with a selection?

Something we do is create our own backend template which we use for all our customers. We then have full control over it and can manipulate whatever is necessary to fit our needs
Warm Regards,
Paula Livingstone, Skydiving Instructor and Network Security Consultant
https://paulalivingstone.com
http://rustyice.co.uk

Return to “User eXperience (UX)”