Joomla Certification 3x and/or 4x? Topic is solved

The Free Joomla! Video training website. In this board you can discuss, suggest and ask question about training.joomla.org.
TheINIC
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Joomla Certification 3x and/or 4x?

Post by TheINIC » Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:08 pm

Hello,

ISSUE:
Training, Certification, places, dates, version and meanings are confusing. No access to JUG or JLP in my country. Need one fly to another country, or are there other paths to accreditation?

PRELUDE:
  1. The page states "...certificates for completing classes." Completing a class doesn't mean the student was able to learn anything.
  2. There are 5 "classes". Are they $50 each or $10 each totaling $50 for watching video/s?
  3. Then in a corner in the rabbit hole, I found another certification process that appears to mean learn or no certificate. Would that be the "Joomla! Administrator Exam" held in other countries? Is there training for the Joomla! Administrator Exam or are the 5 videos it?
  4. As J3.x will be tossed aside in favour of J4.x, will there be a real 'certification' for J4.x or will the same 5 but updated videos be the course? If yes, ETA?
I gave up trying to figure out what certifies a person as being capable of administering a Joomla site instead of just capable of watching 5 videos.

QUESTION:
  1. What training, and Certified Joomla Administrator (not certified video watcher) program is available for 3.x and or 4.x?
  2. And, how will Joomla facilitate training and exams(?) for those who cannot travel out of country?
  3. Would I be wasting my time expecting to be able to start any time in the near future?
  4. Will Joomla be updating the "Certification" part of the site any time soon?
Yes. I read some of the stuff under "Certification" but since it only deals with unknown dates, places and organizations, and ..."prices are valid from 1st July 2019 until 30th June 2020", leaves a lot to the imagination.

~i~
p.s. With COVID-19(84) shackling everyone with new rules and regulations, now would be a great time to get started on upgrading ones' skill-sets while locked into a concrete "bubble".
CAUTION: Anything you say can and will be taken out of context and used against you in the courts of social media

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Joomla Certification 3x and/or 4x?

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:32 pm

Mod. Note: Not related to joomla.com hosting. Relocated to training forum.

TheINIC
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by TheINIC » Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:51 am

Per Yngve Berg wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:32 pm
Mod. Note: Not related to joomla.com hosting. Relocated to training forum.
I found that the training and certification are two very different things. Training says we get a certification that we finished the course. Doesn't say if we passed or not while certification means... why am I writing all this again. I was a long time making that O-post that had the details that went somewhere else.

No matter. I can't afford the hotel, air fare and 10 days isolation there and meals, transportation, new passport, never mind the exam costs and back in 10 day isolation when home, IF ever there is a place to take the exam. The calendars and maps are all empty of any possible dates.

Perhaps you might want to send this post o keep my OP company. :)

~i~
CAUTION: Anything you say can and will be taken out of context and used against you in the courts of social media

ChrisKeen
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by ChrisKeen » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:30 pm

Thanks for your questions and feedback>

I would just like to clarify and add to the various answers and information already provided.

Joomla certification is offered by the Joomla project, more information can be found on the Certification website https://certification.joomla.org/

The Joomla project itself does not provide training, but leaves this to the many Joomla companies already providing training. Any training and/or video's are not part of the official certication, but may help prepare candidates for the exam.

Joomla 3x or 4x certification?
Joomla 3 will still be around and supported for a couple of yearsl, and many sites will not be updated immediately. The Certification will hopefully be providing an updated 3x exam and later a 4x exam.
Which exam version you take, should be chosen based on your current knowledge and version of Joomla you currently use.

Exam availability:
The Joomla project does not hold exams itself. These are offered by our Joomla Learning Partners (JLPs), at Joomla Days, User Groups or other official events. Due to the global COVID pandemic no exams are currently being offered.

Exam prices
Due to the economic effects of the COVID pandemic we decided not to update or adjust the exam prices. We will adjust the price validity dates to reflect this.

If anyone has questions or comments regarding the Joomla Certification, please contact the Certification Program directly or reply to this message.

Regards and best wishes,

Chris Keen
Lead - Joomla Certication Program

TheINIC
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by TheINIC » Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:47 pm

ChrisKeen wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:30 pm
Thanks for your questions and feedback>

Exam availability:
The Joomla project does not hold exams itself. These are offered by our Joomla Learning Partners (JLPs), at Joomla Days, User Groups or other official events. Due to the global COVID pandemic no exams are currently being offered.

Exam prices
Due to the economic effects of the COVID pandemic we decided not to update or adjust the exam prices. We will adjust the price validity dates to reflect this.

If anyone has questions or comments regarding the Joomla Certification, please contact the Certification Program directly or reply to this message.

Regards and best wishes,

Chris Keen
Lead - Joomla Certication Program
Would it be safe to assume that if/when the certification program restarts, and after one has taken whatever training is available and applies for certification that one must wait for a special event (as you mentioned) and travel to that event in order to take the exam? Yes, the extreme remote possibility that a event might be near me is less likely than winning that Power Ball.

I don't understand why the additional cost of travel, hotel, meals, and time, plus cost of accessing special events, just to write a exam is even still in use. With today's technology, it seems COVID is a rather dodgy excuse by many, but can see how it might fit the 'rpogram'. I'm sorry to say this, and may be exiled for it, but Joomla seems to be purposely teetering on a slippery slope, eager for the ride downhill. And, for what it's worth, COVID is being blamed for a great many things. It is the be all, end all of excuses when it seems to me it is the best time to start conducting training followed by online exam while people have the time and the technology is here.

What - ever,
~i~

Return to “Training.Joomla.org”