Questions about Additional Accessibility Features plugin

Be informed that this forum is not an official support forum for Joomla! 4.0. Any issues regarding Joomla! 4.0 must be reported at https://issues.joomla.org/.

Joomla 4.0 is still in Beta stage. This forum should be used for sharing information about Joomla! 4.0.

Moderator: ooffick

Forum rules
Mr. Wimpy
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Questions about Additional Accessibility Features plugin

Post by Mr. Wimpy » Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:57 am

I have several questions about the Additional Accessibility Features plugin.
Tested J4beta3

1. Text to Speach in my language
How do I get Text to Speach to speak in another language?
The text is read by an English speaker. I have installed the Dutch language pack, thinking that it might be the language setting. The accessibility options did translate to Dutch, but the text is still read by an English speaker.

2. Text to Speach + clicking on links
How do I click on links when using Text to Speach?
Clicking on a link the text of the link is read out loud. But there seems to be no way to open that link. I have tried Enter, Space, cmd/alt/ctrl/shift+click, double-click.

3. Reading Guide above the cursor
When I use a (real) reading guide I always place it below the line I am reading. I can still do that with the J! Reading Guide. But because the cursor is not at the Same line as the Reading Guide, clicking on links is somewhat difficult. I have to move the Reading Guide above the line I am reading. When I want to click on a link the Reading Guide covers the top of the line/link making it more difficult to read.
An idea might be to have two lines, one above and one below the cursor. This way you read the text between the lines and the cursor is on the same line you are reading, with the link.
The difficulty might be detecting the different fontsizes when hovering over different areas.

4. My template and Material Icons
I created my own template, but the icons and button for the Accessibility menu are different than in the Cassiopeia and Lightning templates. After checking the code I am missing

Code: Select all

<link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" href="https://fonts.googleapis.com/icon?family=Material+Icons" class="_access-font-icon-0">
In Cassiopeia and Lightning it's only loaded when the plugin is published. I have checked both Cassiopeia and Lightning, but I'm not seeing it.
What do I need to add to my template so the a11y plugin add this line?

Bonus: [bug] Setting Invert Colours A11y menu loses fixed position
In Firefox, when setting Invert Colours the Accessibility menu ignores position: fixed; and moves to the bottom of the page. In Safari it remains fixed.

Thank you.
Wim

ceford
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: Questions about Additional Accessibility Features plugin

Post by ceford » Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:32 pm

Fascinating questions! I don't have any answers for you but can confirm everything you say.

On text to speech, I wondered if that was related to the system selected speaker so I installed a French female voice on my Macbook Pro. That did not change the voice invoked by the Joomla plugin. However, the standard text to speech method, select text then alt+esc, did render French text in a nice French voice and accent. And I can confirm my system English male voice is different from the Joomla accessibility plugin male voice. So where does the voice come from?

On text to speech + clicking links: I found that no links work whilst t2s is active. It seems you need to switch off t2s to obtain normal link behaviour. Is that expected?

On the Accessibility icon: I noticed that Firefox and Chrome use Material Icons but Safari uses something else for the Accessibility icon. Note that Joomla 4 usually uses Font Awesome rather than Material Icons and the latter is loaded by Javascript.

Maybe someone who knows more about the Accessibility plugin code can enlighten us!

Mr. Wimpy
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Mr. Wimpy » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:01 am

To add to ceford's reply and my OP about Material Icons not being the Same I have created an image displaying the differences.

Both screenshots are made in Firefox.
And in Safari my template and Cassiopeia use the same icons as my template in the image.
A11y-icons.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ceford
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by ceford » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:04 am

I have been looking into this a bit more. The code comes from https://github.com/ranbuch/accessibility and there is good documentation. You can change the language but it looks like a bit of work is required to devise a multi-lingual version. Perhaps a custom plugin?

Return to “Joomla! 4 Related”