Discuss Joomla! 4 Beta 5

Be informed that this forum is not an official support forum for Joomla! 4.0. Any issues regarding Joomla! 4.0 must be reported at https://issues.joomla.org/.

Joomla 4.0 is still in Beta stage. This forum should be used for sharing information about Joomla! 4.0.

Moderator: ooffick

Forum rules
sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Discuss Joomla! 4 Beta 5

Post by sozzled » Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:18 pm

pe7er wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:12 am
You might have seen it already, Joomla 4 Beta 5 is now available:
https://www.joomla.org/announcements/re ... lpha3.html
I don't know how many people are using J! 4. Pick a number, any number. The number is probably a couple of hundred; I'm just guessing.

It's also my guess that the majority of people who may be using J! 4 are not using the latest beta release. Further—and I'm still only speculating—the majority of people who may be using J! 4 do not use this forum. Therefore, it's difficult for people who use this forum to obtain information about who's using J! 4 and how things are going with the J! project. The only quantifiable metric about the deployment of J! 4 that I'm aware of is that J! 4 accounts for less than 1% of all J! websites created after the project started gathering statistics about five years ago.

I updated my J! 4 Beta 4 test site to J! 4 Beta 5 without any problems.
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?” :)

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Discuss Joomla! 4 Beta 5

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:34 pm

Updated.No problems encountered this time.

AMurray
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AMurray » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:12 pm

Same here, beta 4 to beta 5 no issues.

(Also released at same time was J 3.10 Alpha 3, updated from Alpha 2 without issues).
Regards,
--------------------------------------------------------------
A Murray
Help you I can, yes!. Post your question, you should. Keep it on topic you must!
Use the Forc....Forum Post Assistant my young Padawan!

JurajB
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by JurajB » Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:55 am

I'm joining, installed beta 5, 2 problems with "deleting files" popped out I guess it's not a problem.
Why Joomla 4 beta 5 hasn't Bootstrap 5 Alpha 2? Its keystone feature from which Joomla will be richer, and updating to alpha isn't a problem because API won't change much just add things. I hope it will update at least in BS5 beta, but again I don't think it's needed to wait for that beta, just recode it for BS5 and get on track.

bruno28
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by bruno28 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:42 am

Updated too --> OK :)
Cordialement, Bruno28 :)
Joomla! 3.9.23 - php 7.4
www.bp2i.fr - www.moneglisesurle.net

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sozzled » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:45 am

JurajB wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:55 am
Why Joomla 4 beta 5 hasn't Bootstrap 5 Alpha 2?
I do not think it helps to talk about Bootstrap 5 here; you have created other discussion topics on that subject—viewtopic.php?f=803&t=981595, viewtopic.php?f=803&t=982371 and viewtopic.php?f=803&t=982732—and you are the only person who seems to be interested in discussing BS 5. I would ask you to look at what I wrote when you first asked about BS 5 back in August. The situation has not changed and it will not change because one person wants this.

So, for your information, there is no Bootstrap 5 coming with J! 4.0.0 and that seems to be the end of the matter. I hope that answers your questions about BS 5 and J! 4. 8)

There's nothing wrong with asking—and I think we've answered your questions—and there's nothing wrong with hoping but we have to be realistic. :)
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?” :)

JurajB
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by JurajB » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:14 am

OK 4 is good enough anyway

chrisguk
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by chrisguk » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:02 pm

No problem updating to Beta 5, but there is a problem with the (desktop) admin menu system. Immediately after logging in to the back end, when clicking on an item in the Components menu (e.g. Banners or Contacts), nothing happens. The only way to get the menu working is to click on the "Tags" menu item, which is the only menu item that works. After doing that, the rest of the menu items work. After logging out and logging back in, the problem recurs.

I can't figure out what's wrong. There are no Javascript errors. I checked with a clean install and see the same behaviour. This problem was not present in Beta 4.

bruno28
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by bruno28 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:58 pm

It works well for me after updating
Joomla! 3.9.23 - php 7.4

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:06 pm

That behaviour sounds odd, especially if there are no javascript errors. Does the site have any third party extensions?

A clean localhost installation of Joomla 4 Beta 5, using PHP 7.4.8 and updated to today's version of Beta6-dev, opens the drop-down menu normally when Components - Banners or Components - Contacts is clicked.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

chrisguk
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by chrisguk » Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:19 pm

Yes, very strange problem.

For me the problem occurs with a clean install (no third party extensions), and in two quite different environments (localhost and on a shared server). The problem was not there in Beta 4.

Tomorrow I will try to find the problem.

ceford
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by ceford » Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:28 pm

Javascript opens the Components menu. If you got that far the Banners menu should open too. Tags is a link so would work without Javascript. Strange indeed!

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sozzled » Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:19 pm

There ain't no universal problem with Javascript failing to display the sub-menu items in J! 4 Beta 5 administration. There are, however, problems using J! 4 with certain browsers. For example, you can't use J! 4 administration with Internet Explorer and certain versions of Safari: my iPad relic (that only goes to IOS 9) is one example; Safari for Windows is another. For completeness, I tested with half-a-dozen different web browsers, three different devices, two different networks and two different operating systems.

chrisguk
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by chrisguk » Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:53 pm

You are onto something there, Sozzled. It's definitely browser related.

The menu does not work correctly in the latest Chrome (86) and Safari (12) on Mac.

The menu does work correctly in my very old version of Firefox (52) on Mac.

The menu does work correctly in Edge on Windows (although the sub-menu items are not indented correctly).

The menu does not work correctly in Chrome (84) on Windows.

I'm calling it a day now. I will look at this more tomorrow.

chrisguk
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by chrisguk » Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:43 am

Sorry, I wasn't able to find the problem. I'm not very good at debugging other people's code.

I did find another browser dependent problem though...

On one page of one of my components, the toolbar buttons no longer work in Firefox 52 Mac. There is a JS error "TypeError: newForm is null" at line 392 of core.js (newForm.task.value = newTask;). The reason that fails is that on line 388, "newForm = document.getElementById('adminForm');" fails to find the adminForm. The adminForm form is present and the buttons work perfectly in Chrome and Safari. Obviously this makes no sense.

Another problem with the menu is that if the component shows a lot of content, there is no way to scroll the menu down independently of the component content. That's going to be really inconvenient for people with a lot of components installed.

Personally I hate the whole concept of the vertical menu in Joomla 4. It's much harder to use than the Joomla 3 menu system.

Anyway, I hope the browser problems can get fixed.

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sozzled » Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:58 pm

Question: How will "hoping the ... problems get fixed" actually get those problems fixed? You are aware, if course, that the "fixers" don't use this forum, aren't you? ;)

ceford
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by ceford » Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:39 am

chrisguk wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:43 am
On one page of one of my components, the toolbar buttons no longer work in Firefox 52 Mac.

Another problem with the menu is that if the component shows a lot of content, there is no way to scroll the menu down independently of the component content. That's going to be really inconvenient for people with a lot of components installed.
I just did a clean install of Joomla 4.0 Beta 5 with Firefox on Mac - no problems. Note that Firefox 52 is 3.5 years old and the current version is 82. So update your Firefox browser and come back if the problem persists.

Scrolling is an interesting issue. You can of course scroll the content area separately from the side menu. And you can scroll the System Configuration side menu separately from the configuration form. You could make the side menu scroll yourself. Just put this in user.css

Code: Select all

nav {
	max-height: 90vh; 
	overflow-y: scroll;
}
Come back and tell us how you like it and whether there are consequential problems.

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: Discuss Joomla! 4 Beta 5: Action Log

Post by sozzled » Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:46 pm

I don't see the feature incorporated in J! 3.9.21 (and enhanced in J! 3.9.22)—see https://github.com/joomla/joomla-cms/pull/30714—implemented in J! 4 beta n. I will add an item to the issue tracker.

Added https://github.com/joomla/joomla-cms/issues/31291

erick-b
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by erick-b » Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:44 pm

I am using J4 beta 6 without any problem https://developer.joomla.org/nightly-builds.html

only the installation with php 7.4.9 does not work, it has to be 7.3.21 to install then I can switch without problem for 7.4.9 , this problem was the same with beta 5

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sozzled » Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:22 pm

@erick-b: thanks for your observations about not being able to install J! 4 Beta 5 with PHP 7.4.9; you needed to be running PHP 7.3 to install before you could changeover to PHP 7.4. I haven't tried this myself. Have you asked the developers about this on GitHub?

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:41 pm

Perhaps your php 7.4.9 is missing a module or two ?
Please https://forumpostassistant.github.io/docs/ with each php version
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results": Albert Einstein.

psilin
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by psilin » Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:35 pm

Is it a known issue that extensions/plugins cannot be installed?

error when trying to install akeeba:
Call to undefined method Joomla\CMS\Installer\Adapter\PackageAdapter::get()

[using joomla beta 5]

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:58 pm

Not a known issue, AFAIK. Just installed successfully the latest version of Akeeba Backup Pro on Joomla 4 Beta6-dev.

bruno28
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by bruno28 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:49 pm

Hello everyone

I hope you are all OK

Have you noticed a shift in the title on the logo when you want to edit a user or a category for example ?
j4 decalage 1.jpg
j4 decalage 2.jpg
j4 decalage 3.jpg
j4 decalage 4.jpg
It seems that the logo must have a max-width of 48px
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Joomla! 3.9.23 - php 7.4

ceford
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by ceford » Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:56 pm

That is a bug! In edit mode an 'a' link is replaced by a 'div' but class 'small' is applied. You should raise an issue on the tracker. Also make clear: are you viewing on a desktop or mobile?

Or it may be that the small logo is intended to be a small square - it is only 3rem wide. Either way, we need to know for sure for documentation purposes. You may be expected to override class .logo.small with your own width - in user.css.

bruno28
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by bruno28 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:55 pm

ceford wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:56 pm
That is a bug! In edit mode an 'a' link is replaced by a 'div' but class 'small' is applied. You should raise an issue on the tracker. Also make clear: are you viewing on a desktop or mobile?
Hello ceford

Thank you for your answer, I am viewing on a desktop

Where do I raise an issue on the tracker ?

Bruno
Joomla! 3.9.23 - php 7.4

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:32 pm

bruno28 wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:55 pm
Where do I raise an issue on the tracker ?
At https://issues.joomla.org.
Register an account, then click 'New Item' and start the title with the prefix '[4.0]'.
Enter 'Beta5-dev' into the field 'Build', fill in the description and add screenshots if required, then Submit.

bruno28
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by bruno28 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:44 pm

Thank you toivo

I will do it tomorrow

Have a good night, wherever you are (you are moving so frequently :))

Bruno
Joomla! 3.9.23 - php 7.4

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:20 pm

Cheers.

You may want update your test environment to the latest Beta6-dev version. Download from Nightly Builds.

AMurray
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AMurray » Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:50 pm

Not sure if it is a bug (or something to do with the size of the custom logo).

In my Beta6 J4 install, on main control panel page, it has the full joomla logo with the , and word "Joomla!", going to Use Management screen(s), it reduces the logo to just the "J chain-link" symbol. I thought that was by design; haven't tried with any other logo image.

But I see it seems related to whether the left hand menu is expanded or not (In Manage Users, the menu is not loaded; when you view the main control panel, toggle the menu on/off, you will see the same behaviour.

Might be off track here....correct me if I'm wrong.
Regards,
--------------------------------------------------------------
A Murray
Help you I can, yes!. Post your question, you should. Keep it on topic you must!
Use the Forc....Forum Post Assistant my young Padawan!

Return to “Joomla! 4 Related”