J4 multisite?

Be informed that this forum is not an official support forum for Joomla! 4.0. Any issues regarding Joomla! 4.0 must be reported at https://issues.joomla.org/.

Joomla! 4.0 is still in its Alpha stage. This forum should be used for sharing information about Joomla! 4.0.

Moderator: ooffick

mikerotec
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

J4 multisite?

Post by mikerotec » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:27 pm

First off, let me offer my congratulations to the dev team here. I just installed J4 Alpha 7 and I am very favorably impressed.

My question is, are there any plans for J4 to support multi site out of the box?

john-doe
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: J4 multisite?

Post by john-doe » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:30 pm

Multisite? Like Setting Various sites in the SAME installation?
www.aldemar-hernandez.com - Custom templates and design services.

mikerotec
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by mikerotec » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:01 pm

Yes, install the codebase ONCE, and run multiple 'content' databases against it. That way when it's time to do the inevitable security patches / unwanted but mandatory "feature updates", you do not have to repeat the process FOR EVERY WEBSITE. I was able to do this successfully for a custom CMS circa year 2000 ( running MS-SQL/IIS, lol) so we had multiple public schools each running a website off of shared code infrastructure.

john-doe
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by john-doe » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:01 am

Not sure if joomla 4 when gets launched will be capable of that. I know that Typo3 can be deployed that way, you set up a core base and in such server you do as many installations as the server can do. However that level of skill goes beyond my knowledge and i haven't did such task so i could say definitively, can be or cannot be done.

However seems interesting if Joomla gets such capability; downward on first sight is that i would need a VPS / Dedicated server to do so.
www.aldemar-hernandez.com - Custom templates and design services.

fmolina
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by fmolina » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:00 pm

Man, I am surprised that no-one is talking about this feature. I know that such comparisons suck, but this is a native thing in other major CMSs for ages

erick-b
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by erick-b » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:16 am

It is a very necessary feature

darb
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by darb » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:30 am

Yes it always comes down to priorities of the strategic decisions on what should be core functions and dev focus of a cms to compete on the market
Success in the long run Its not about the code its about the people and community that's make it!
Its not what you say its what you do that matters!

Darb - aka ssnobben

Return to “Joomla! 4 Related”