Question about error log?

Be informed that this forum is not an official support forum for Joomla! 4.0. Any issues regarding Joomla! 4.0 must be reported at https://issues.joomla.org/.

Joomla 4.0 is still in Beta stage. This forum should be used for sharing information about Joomla! 4.0.

Moderator: ooffick

Forum rules
JurajB
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Question about error log?

Post by JurajB » Sun May 31, 2020 12:02 pm

I did google but found nothing like this.
Does Joomla have an error log?
Found some error in fresh install, wanted to post but it disappeared. Is this under logging somewhere?
If not why not to create one?

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Question about error log?

Post by toivo » Sun May 31, 2020 12:35 pm

The log file administrator/logs/error.php consists of failed login attempts, as shown below:

Code: Select all

#
#<?php die('Forbidden.'); ?>
#Date: 2020-05-31 12:26:25 UTC
#Software: Joomla! 4.0.0-beta1 Beta [ Mañana ] 30-May-2020 18:32 GMT

#Fields: datetime	priority clientip	category	message
2020-05-31T12:26:25+00:00	INFO 127.0.0.1	joomlafailure	Username and password do not match or you do not have an account yet.
2020-05-31T12:30:25+00:00	INFO 127.0.0.1	joomlafailure	Empty password not allowed.
Other than that, Joomla usually relies on the configuration of PHP and its error log. You can override them by seting the level of error reporting in Global Configuration to 'Maximum' and then configuring the plugin System - Debug so that logging involves only your unique usergroup, usually Super User but it could be any usergroup, so that other users and visitors do not see the debug data, and, last but not least, select to 'Log almost everything'. Those selections make the error and other log data accessible from the file administrator/logs/everything.php.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

JurajB
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by JurajB » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:45 am

maybe someone to make a plugin for statistics manager viewable in cp? do somebody know someone who can do this?

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:26 am

Statistics from the PHP error log? That is not something Joomla plugins are designed to do.

However, someone familiar with shell scripting or PHP CLI could write a script that parses the PHP error log, searching for particular words like 'error', 'warning' and 'Deprecated' and then sending those lines to the Super User in a daily email.

Assuming that the PHP CLI script loads the Joomla framework, it could write the errors in a suitable format into a database table, from where a chart extension like Plotalot can then easily provide statistics as a graph.

JurajB
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by JurajB » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:48 am

thanks for info
I will find someone

JurajB
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by JurajB » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:39 am

As far as I know its problem because of impossibility to create it without modifying joomla core components so I advice J4 devs to look into it and create a managable log application/service with delete option (for superuser for example) and sorting options, search, details and so on. eithter this can be used to log more than just the server log, but various system/core changes and more
Its up to you ;)
please help me with this because I see it as a very usefull tool/service.

edit: note you have in description of J4 related forum (this) as a refering to the joomla alpha stage

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:31 am

JurajB wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:39 am
note you have in description of J4 related forum (this) as a refering to the joomla alpha stage
Thanks for reporting this, it has now been changed to Beta stage.

JurajB
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by JurajB » Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:08 pm

so any one who can submit my idea about error log from moderators to devs ??

JurajB
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by JurajB » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:56 am

so will beta2 or 4.1 introduce managable error log
?

ceford
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by ceford » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:27 am

There are 18 occurrences of Log::addLogger() in the code and 327 instances of Log:addLog(). You did not mention which events you were interested in logging but I think it is evident that log analysis will be a non-trivial task. An interesting challenge for anyone wanting to try their hand at coding.

JurajB
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by JurajB » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:47 am

what about to instruct the dev team to give a research and possibilities about managable error log app into joomla 4.1
would be the first cms to do that
and im asking what is console log? its the same as the error log? probably error log on the client side. thats a good hit too

Return to “Joomla! 4 Related”