500 Whoops, looks like something went wrong Topic is solved

Be informed that this forum is not an official support forum for Joomla! 4.0. Any issues regarding Joomla! 4.0 must be reported at https://issues.joomla.org/.

Joomla 4.0 is still in Beta stage. This forum should be used for sharing information about Joomla! 4.0.

Moderator: ooffick

Forum rules
marko_o
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

500 Whoops, looks like something went wrong

Post by marko_o » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:03 am

Hi,

As a newcomer to Joomla :-[ I tried to upgrade beloved Joomla to most recent version available (beta5-development from beta4-development as I remember well) followng the instructions here: https://www.joomlashack.com/blog/tutori ... test-site/
Let that be a lesson to me to backup files and database before upgrading anything ; )
I get an error both in user and administrator mode.

Oops! An Error Occurred
The server returned a "500 Whoops, looks like something went wrong.".
Something is broken. Please let us know what you were doing when this error occurred. We will fix it as soon as possible. Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

What should I do now? Fortunately I haven't done much work yet so I can reinstall Joomla and enjoy the newest version but is it possible to find out what really happened and fix the problem?

waarnemer
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Re: 500 Whoops, looks like something went wrong

Post by waarnemer » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:38 am

yes maybe.

when you have access to your server go find the error log and check for errors.
if you are lucky there is even a message what the error is, file and even line number...

marko_o
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by marko_o » Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:44 pm

I am using XAMPP
Joomla_update.php log file:
#
#<?php die('Forbidden.'); ?>
#Date: 2020-09-18 07:59:53 UTC
#Software: Joomla! 4.0.0-beta4-dev Development [ Mañana ] 29-July-2020 18:21 GMT

#Fields: datetime priority clientip category message
2020-09-18T07:59:53+00:00 INFO ::1 update Update started by user XXX (275). Old version is &#x200E;4.0.0-beta4-dev.
2020-09-18T07:59:54+00:00 INFO ::1 update Downloading update file from https://developer.joomla.org/nightlies/ ... ackage.zip.
2020-09-18T08:00:01+00:00 INFO ::1 update File Joomla_4.0.0-beta5-dev-Development-Update_Package.zip downloaded.
2020-09-18T08:00:01+00:00 INFO ::1 update Starting installation of new version.

What other files can I check out?

waarnemer
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by waarnemer » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:05 pm

you should check the error log

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:23 pm

@waarnemer is probably right: check the error log.

Here's my opinion, for what it's worth, about using "nightly builds".

Nightly builds are like alpha versions. We don't know if they work or if they don't work and we don't know whether they're "authorised" or just snapshots of development taken at random. What is today's "nightly build" may not be the same as tomorrow's "nightly build" (or next week's/month's/year's build). The problems that people may have with today's "nightly build" may be resolved (or evaporate) with one created "tomorrow" (whenever that may be). There's also no guarantee that problems resolved in future will not re-appear again in future with another one of those "nightly builds".

I don't use "nightly builds" because—as I have written many times before on this forum—I don't use alpha versions of software; alpha versions are inherently unpredictable and I don't have time to debug them. That's not to say they don't have their place, of course; however, unless you're a top-grade software developer who has expert/inside knowledge of the product under development, I would steer clear of those things and wait until the next [more-or-less "stable"] release becomes available for "public" release.

psilin
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by psilin » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:25 am

I have the same error 500 experience. ‘Production’ like environment.
Looking into the log files: too many redirects.
I suppose it has to do with http to https redirection, but that’s a 100% gamble at the time of writing.

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:35 am

psilin wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:25 am
So ... you are also using a nightly build of J! 4 beta (in a "production-like" environment)? Are you sure it is the exact same HTTP 500 "experience" as the OP? ???

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:43 am

My site died too, updating with the announced update by the updater.

Code: Select all

oomla\Database\Exception\PrepareStatementFailureException:
Unknown column 's.inheritable' in 'field list'

at /home/kiriswmr/alpha.kiris.no/libraries/vendor/joomla/database/src/Mysqli/MysqliStatement.php:141
  at Joomla\Database\Mysqli\MysqliStatement->__construct(object(mysqli), 'SELECT `s`.`template`,`s`.`params`,`s`.`inheritable`,`s`.`parent`FROM `j4b1_template_styles` AS `s`LEFT JOIN `j4b1_extensions` AS `e` ON `e`.`type` = \'template\' AND `e`.`element` = `s`.`template` AND `e`.`client_id` = `s`.`client_id`WHERE `s`.`client_id` = 1 AND `s`.`home` = \'1\'ORDER BY `s`.`home`')
     (/home/kiriswmr/alpha.kiris.no/libraries/vendor/joomla/database/src/Mysqli/MysqliDriver.php:1048)
  at Joomla\Database\Mysqli\MysqliDriver->prepareStatement('SELECT `s`.`template`,`s`.`params`,`s`.`inheritable`,`s`.`parent`FROM `j4b1_template_styles` AS `s`LEFT JOIN `j4b1_extensions` AS `e` ON `e`.`type` = \'template\' AND `e`.`element` = `s`.`template` AND `e`.`client_id` = `s`.`client_id`WHERE `s`.`client_id` = 1 AND `s`.`home` = \'1\'ORDER BY `s`.`home`')
     (/home/kiriswmr/alpha.kiris.no/libraries/vendor/joomla/database/src/DatabaseDriver.php:1892)
  at Joomla\Database\DatabaseDriver->setQuery(object(MysqliQuery))
     (/home/kiriswmr/alpha.kiris.no/libraries/src/Application/AdministratorApplication.php:264)
  at Joomla\CMS\Application\AdministratorApplication->getTemplate(true)
     (/home/kiriswmr/alpha.kiris.no/libraries/src/Error/Renderer/HtmlRenderer.php:47)
  at Joomla\CMS\Error\Renderer\HtmlRenderer->render(object(PrepareStatementFailureException))
     (/home/kiriswmr/alpha.kiris.no/libraries/src/Exception/ExceptionHandler.php:132)
  at Joomla\CMS\Exception\ExceptionHandler::render(object(PrepareStatementFailureException))
     (/home/kiriswmr/alpha.kiris.no/libraries/src/Application/CMSApplication.php:264)
  at Joomla\CMS\Application\CMSApplication->execute()
     (/home/kiriswmr/alpha.kiris.no/administrator/includes/app.php:63)
  at require_once('/home/kiriswmr/alpha.kiris.no/administrator/includes/app.php')
     (/home/kiriswmr/alpha.kiris.no/administrator/index.php:36)                

psilin
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by psilin » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:54 am

sozzled wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:35 am
psilin wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:25 am
So ... you are also using a nightly build of J! 4 beta (in a "production-like" environment)? Are you sure it is the exact same HTTP 500 "experience" as the OP? ???
If I have exactly the same root-cause as the OP: I don’t know that. Error 500 has a ton of possible root-causes. What I do know is that I have looked at the log files of the webhost, and that in MY case it is mentioned as too many redirects. I suspect that is has to do with redirects related to https traffic, but I am not sure about that.

The version I tried to upgrade from was an almost blank beta3 installation (created some test articles etc, and only installed JCE editor) to beta 4. Also messed somewhat with adding extra scripts to the default front template to be able to use MathJax. Instructions to go to beta 4 I found somewhere on the net: update settings switched to beta and testing. As far as I know that are no nightly builds.
Unfortunately these instructions cannot be found on the joomla project roadmap. Beta4 isn’t even listed there. That of coarse (I swallow these words)

The production like environment I mentioned is simply a sub-domain hosted on a platform from a commercial shared hosting party, which I use to mess-around now and then.

psilin
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by psilin » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:58 am

Per Yngve Berg wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:43 am
My site died too, updating with the announced update by the updater.

What log file is this, or how can I access this information? Perhaps I can compare my situation that way.

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:16 am

Enable error reporting in configuration.php

Code: Select all

public $error_reporting = 'maximum';

MarkRS
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by MarkRS » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:39 pm

I, too, tried to upgrade from Beta3 to Beta4 via the system control panel.

This is on a Linux localhost, fairly bare J4b4. I get the same error log as Per. It shows up in the browser with error reporting turned up to maximum in configuration.php.

Making a guess at "inheritable" gets another error, "missing field "parent". So I found the table definitions in github, those (inheritable is tinyint and parent is varchar(50) ) seem to be the only two missing. Putting them into the template_layouts table then makes the site workable again :eek:
Last edited by MarkRS on Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's a community, the more we all contribute, the better it will be.

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:01 pm

Thanks, everyone. I see that there's an update available for Joomla! 4.0.0-beta5-dev* but I will not be updating until I see confirmation from someone here that the update does not cripple an existing J! 4 website.

MarkRS wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:39 pm
I think we're discussing Beta4 to Beta5. I don't know; the semantic version numbering system that the developers are using is confusing.

I can't see reports of problems with this update on GitHub. If anyone knows of problems with this update reported on GitHub, please send a link to it/them.

———————————————————
Note: * Using:

Update Channel = Custom URL
Custom URL = https://update.joomla.org/core/nightlie ... r_list.xml

MarkRS
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by MarkRS » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:14 pm

I think we're discussing Beta4 to Beta5.
Fair point. I should have said "I, too, like psilin"... etc etc.

Perhaps the error was introduced at the point 3->4 and no-one installed that? Anyway, adding those two fields fixes it,

This now-fixed b4 instance doesn't admit that there's a b5, even though I'm checking the correct channel (Testing) and minimum stability (beta).
It's a community, the more we all contribute, the better it will be.

psilin
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by psilin » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:29 pm

sozzled wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:01 pm
Thanks, everyone. I see that there's an update available for Joomla! 4.0.0-beta5-dev* but I will not be updating until I see confirmation from someone here that the update does not cripple an existing J! 4 website.

MarkRS wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:39 pm
I think we're discussing Beta4 to Beta5. I don't know; the semantic version numbering system that the developers are using is confusing.

I can't see reports of problems with this update on GitHub. If anyone knows of problems with this update reported on GitHub, please send a link to it/them.

———————————————————
Note: * Using:

Update Channel = Custom URL
Custom URL = https://update.joomla.org/core/nightlie ... r_list.xml
Well, according to the official Joomla documentation placed at https://www.joomla.org/announcements/re ... lpha2.html beta4 was released september 15th.

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:35 pm

MarkRS wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:14 pm
I think we're discussing Beta4 to Beta5.
Perhaps the error was introduced at the point 3->4 and no-one installed that?

This now-fixed b4 instance doesn't admit that there's a b5, even though I'm checking the correct channel (Testing) and minimum stability (beta).
I installed the "beta3/dev" and updated to the "beta4/dev" which is the version I am currently using (see screenshots below). I did not have problems updating from 3->4. I have been using "beta4/dev" since June this year.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:41 pm

psilin wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:29 pm
According to the official Joomla documentation ... at https://www.joomla.org/announcements/re ... lpha2.html beta4 was released 15 September.
Thank you for that information. As I wrote earlier, the J! 4 "semantic versioning system" used by the J! developers is very confusing. What I thought was beta5-dev is (according to the official announcement) actually Beta 4 but I'm lost as to what we're talking about.

If the developers are confused about whether a version is "beta X" or "beta X-in-training", how can we expect ordinary folk to know whether they're using "beta X" or not?

These problems with these announcements mean that I don't know whether people are talking about some "official" release, a nightly build, or someone's idea of having a joke.

Anyway, as I wrote earlier, I will not be attempting to update from J! 4 Beta/dev to J! 4 Beta (or J! 4 Beta5/dev or whatever it's called) until there's confirmation here on the forum that people have successfully updated their websites without crippling them with errors.

psilin
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by psilin » Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:33 am

Just edited ‘configuration.php’ with the log setting set to maximum as suggested.
Then I get the same inheritable error.
So my gamble was totally incorrect.

Later today I will look into the suggestions of adding some fields to the mentioned table. If the table definitions are altered without being updated with the update option it looks like to be the fact that every installation will break with this update.
(How can such an major event not have been recognized before releasing the beta update?)

ceford
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by ceford » Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:15 am

Anything to do with this:

viewtopic.php?f=803&t=981539

It covers how to fix a database problem that causes the problem described.

psilin
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by psilin » Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:44 am

ceford wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:15 am
Anything to do with this:

viewtopic.php?f=803&t=981539

It covers how to fix a database problem that causes the problem described.
This is indeed the root cause of the reported errors. So thank you also for mentioning it over here.

Again the Joomla project missed a big documentation thing: every native beta 4 user ( verion beta 1, beta 2 and beta 3) are affected with this bug. In the mean while I found out that the developers pointed to this broken issue in front of releasing the beta 4 version: https://issues.joomla.org/tracker/joomla-cms/30363 Note that users who came from a 3.x release are not affected with this bug.

Even dumber is the fact that there is a Joomla documentation page for exactly this issue: https://docs.joomla.org/J4.x:Upgrade_to_4.0_Beta_4 There is even an almost empty categorie for version 4.0.0: https://docs.joomla.org/Category:Version_4.0.0_FAQ Neither of the last URL's are findable or promoted in any way one may expect: BIG LETTERS ABOVE THE ANNOUNCEMENT OF BETA 4 RELEASE.

I stumbled across the given URL's by browsing with my phone. And before I had found these documents back at the Joomla Site : it took (almost) ages.

DEAR JOOMLA DEVELOPMENT TEAM: PLEASE TRY TO POSITION YOURSELF INTO A USER POSITION WITH NO PROGRAMMING EXPERIENCE AND INTEREST IN KNOWING WHAT IS GOING ON UNDER THE HOOD OF JOOMLA.

Today I say a tweet coming from the Joomla Magazine with a message ' how to get a larger market share for Joomla' . Really funny in the above perspective, isn't it?

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:31 am

I found out why I was not seeing the availability of J! 4 Beta 4. I needed to change the update options to:

Update Channel = Testing
Minimum Stability = Beta

Note: I still have not updated from J! 4 beta4-dev that I installed in June this year.

Just thinking out aloud:
  • J! 4 Beta 1 was released at the end of May this year;
  • Beta 2 was released at the end of June;
  • Beta 3 was released at the end of July (I must have missed that one);
  • Beta 4 was released a few days ago (September)
  • If the next release of J! 4 is, say, Beta 5 and, allowing for a couple of Release Candidate releases after that (at, say, six-week intervals between them) then we're most likely looking at no earlier than mid first quarter of next year (i.e. February 2021) before J! 4.0.0 stable is a possibility. I wouldn't bet the farm on that.
Just saying ... :)

psilin
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by psilin » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:54 am

At least the beta4 does run again. Why don’t you upgrade? That’s what it is called beta’s for ;-)

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:08 am

Why would I update and cripple my website? I have not read on this forum that anyone has updated to J! 4 Beta 4 without those HTTP 500 Internal Server Errors. When I see a couple of posts where people have updated successfully, then I'll take the plunge.

GerogescuM
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by GerogescuM » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:44 pm

@marko_o , this might be a stupid question, but..
Don't you have any backup of your environment ?

psilin
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by psilin » Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:59 pm

sozzled wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:08 am
Why would I update and cripple my website? I have not read on this forum that anyone has updated to J! 4 Beta 4 without those HTTP 500 Internal Server Errors. When I see a couple of posts where people have updated successfully, then I'll take the plunge.
Just check before upgrading if the mentioned columns already exist in your database. Is that the case one can safely upgrade (within the limits of being beta off coarse). And in the case you don’t have these 2 columns add them before upgrading.
Have at least *some* trust in your fellow beta-forum-collegues ;-)

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:57 pm

psilin wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:33 am
Later today I will look into the suggestions of adding some fields to the mentioned table. If the table definitions are altered without being updated with the update option it looks like to be the fact that every installation will break with this update.
(How can such an major event not have been recognized before releasing the beta update?)
I have not anywhere read here, on this forum, where anyone has successfully updated (from one of the older beta versions of J! 4) to the latest J! 4 Beta 4. When I read that people have successfully updated (without these HTTP 500 Internal Server Errors) then I may attempt the same. :pop

So I'm still waiting for confirmation that the problems, mentioned in the first post in this discussion, have been resolved before doing anything more.

@marko_o: Of course I have a backup. I always backup before I update. Doesn't everyone? What does that have to do with this? ???

psilin
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by psilin » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:32 pm

sozzled wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:57 pm
psilin wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:33 am
I have not anywhere read here, on this forum, where anyone has successfully updated (from one of the older beta versions of J! 4) to the latest J! 4 Beta 4. When I read that people have successfully updated (without these HTTP 500 Internal Server Errors) then I may attempt the same. :pop

So I'm still waiting for confirmation that the problems, mentioned in the first post in this discussion, have been resolved before doing anything more.

@marko_o: Of course I have a backup. I always backup before I update. Doesn't everyone? What does that have to do with this? ???
Well, positive confirmation that with the applied patch an update from beta3 to beta4 was successfull. ;-)

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:42 pm

@psilin: do you mean that you have done this or are you saying that you read somewhere that someone else has done this? I haven't read anywhere on the forum that anyone has done all of this successfully. If the OP has done all of this successfully then this topic should be marked as resolved. Hmmm?

psilin
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by psilin » Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:36 am

sozzled wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:42 pm
@psilin: do you mean that you have done this or are you saying that you read somewhere that someone else has done this? I haven't read anywhere on the forum that anyone has done all of this successfully. If the OP has done all of this successfully then this topic should be marked as resolved. Hmmm?
Yup, I have done this.

To be precise: I started with a clean beta3 install. Updated by the ‘beta testing’ setting and broke the working of the website. After applying the patch (added 2 columns by using phpmyadmin the site worked again.
Just to be sure I reinstalled the core Joomla files by using this option in the administrator pane.

Good luck with upgrading ;-)

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:28 am

Thanks. I'll look into this later. I have a new hobby (nothing to do with webcraft) and it's keeping me busy (and more enjoyable than webcraft)! :D

I'm building a [wood-working] workbench. So I'll update this discussion topic some time in the next few days.

It would be nice if @marko_o (who started this discussion) and anyone who's had these problems would also confirm that they're all sorted, too. ;)

Return to “Joomla! 4 Related”