Blank popup media manager

Be informed that this forum is not an official support forum for Joomla! 4.0. Any issues regarding Joomla! 4.0 must be reported at https://issues.joomla.org/.

Joomla 4.0 is still in Beta stage. This forum should be used for sharing information about Joomla! 4.0.

Moderators: ooffick, ooffick

Forum rules
Post Reply
andoo
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:08 pm

Blank popup media manager

Post by andoo » Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:47 pm

Trying to add article images to a new J4 install and the media manager popup looks blank, only the 3 buttons being visible. On the browser console I get those errors:

Code: Select all

Failed to set referrer policy: The value 'strict-origin-when-cross-origin' is not one of 'no-referrer', 'no-referrer-when-downgrade', 'origin', 'origin-when-cross-origin', or 'unsafe-url'. The referrer policy has been left unchanged.

Code: Select all

/administrator/index.php?option=com_media&view=media&tmpl=component&asset=com_content&author=&fieldid={field-media-id}&path=local-0:/:1 

Failed to set referrer policy: The value 'strict-origin-when-cross-origin' is not one of 'no-referrer', 'no-referrer-when-downgrade', 'origin', 'origin-when-cross-origin', or 'unsafe-url'. The referrer policy has been left unchanged.

Code: Select all

mediamanager.min.js:13 

Uncaught SyntaxError: Unexpected token ...

Code: Select all

index.php?option=com_media&view=media&tmpl=component&asset=com_content&author=&fieldid={field-media…:32 

Uncaught ReferenceError: MediaManager is not defined
    at HTMLButtonElement.onclick (index.php?option=com_media&view=media&tmpl=component&asset=com_content&author=&fieldid={field-media…:32)
On mobile everything is there but it looks unusable. https://pasteboard.co/JDTdzY1.png

I'm using the latest J4 Beta 6 build on Ubuntu 18.04, PHP 7.3 and Nginx with https. Thank you in advance for any help.

User avatar
ceford
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast
Posts: 167
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:38 pm
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
Contact:

Re: Blank popup media manager

Post by ceford » Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:39 am

Looks like a javascript problem. Try going to Global Configuration and set System / Debug System to Yes. That should cause loading of the none min[ified] versions of the javascript files and may tell us exactly where the syntax error is. I have not seen this problem myself. The Media Manager is a work in progress and, in my opinion, unusable on mobile.

User avatar
sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar
Posts: 9999
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:30 am
Location: Canberra, Australia

Re: Blank popup media manager

Post by sozzled » Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:22 am

Slightly off-topic but in response to the comment about the usability of Media Manager on mobile devices. To be completely honest, trying to perform precise website calibrations on a device the size of a postage stamp would be an achievement that probably falls in the realm of science-fiction or fantasy. While it may be desirable (for people with remarkable visual acuity or digital dexterity) to undertake the complexity of website administration on device that fits in the palm of your hand, I wouldn't even try it.

But, sure, if it floats some people's boats to do the backend stuff on a mobile device, then make the Media Manager "usable". :pop:
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?” :)

andoo
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:08 pm

Re: Blank popup media manager

Post by andoo » Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:03 am

ceford wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:39 am
Looks like a javascript problem. Try going to Global Configuration and set System / Debug System to Yes. That should cause loading of the none min[ified] versions of the javascript files and may tell us exactly where the syntax error is. I have not seen this problem myself. The Media Manager is a work in progress and, in my opinion, unusable on mobile.
Did it and thats what I get. https://pasteboard.co/JDXfgRl.png

That's strange as in prior betas( last one I used before 6 was beta 4) media manager worked. Also if I remember correctly, on mobile too.

User avatar
ceford
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast
Posts: 167
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:38 pm
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
Contact:

Re: Blank popup media manager

Post by ceford » Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:59 am

There is something wrong with the installation. I have one from 5 December that works fine. A change was made to com_media yesterday and it is possible the scripts were not properly recompiled from sources. Can you try a new download?

andoo
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:08 pm

Re: Blank popup media manager

Post by andoo » Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:11 am

ceford wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:59 am
There is something wrong with the installation. I have one from 5 December that works fine. A change was made to com_media yesterday and it is possible the scripts were not properly recompiled from sources. Can you try a new download?
Only thing I did after installing Joomla, as usual, was to install blog sample data and Joomlart's T4 framework that also gave me some errors. Wich I'm not shure I'll use anywhay as Cassiopeia changed a lot since Beta 4, ticking all my marks.

I'll try a new download.

andoo
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:08 pm

Re: Blank popup media manager

Post by andoo » Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:39 pm

Did a reinstall and stil the same.Tried with a beta 5 and still didn't worked. Then beta 4 and media manager is working there. Something must have changed between b4 and b5. I'm puzzled.

andoo
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:08 pm

Re: Blank popup media manager

Post by andoo » Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:20 pm

sozzled wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:22 am
Slightly off-topic but in response to the comment about the usability of Media Manager on mobile devices. To be completely honest, trying to perform precise website calibrations on a device the size of a postage stamp would be an achievement that probably falls in the realm of science-fiction or fantasy. While it may be desirable (for people with remarkable visual acuity or digital dexterity) to undertake the complexity of website administration on device that fits in the palm of your hand, I wouldn't even try it.

But, sure, if it floats some people's boats to do the backend stuff on a mobile device, then make the Media Manager "usable". :pop:
I had my personal blog on Wordpress. That's why I am usedto post from multiple devices. Fearsome Gutenberg came in. And, I know it's on another level of complexity, wanted to give Joomla a try for the blog too.

Right now, though don't care all that much about mobile compatibility, but to test on different browsers to see if that problem occurs. It's the only thing keeping me from switching. :(

User avatar
sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar
Posts: 9999
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:30 am
Location: Canberra, Australia

Re: Blank popup media manager

Post by sozzled » Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:42 pm

andoo wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:39 pm
Did a reinstall and stil the same.Tried with a beta 5 and still didn't worked. Then beta 4 and media manager is working there. Something must have changed between b4 and b5. I'm puzzled.
I suggest you read the sticky post at the beginning of this forum category (viewtopic.php?f=803&t=960395). If you have found a defect in J! 4 Beta 5 then it would be a good idea to use the Issue Tracker to report it. Thanks. :)
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?” :)

andoo
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:08 pm

Re: Blank popup media manager

Post by andoo » Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:15 pm

sozzled wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:42 pm
andoo wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:39 pm
Did a reinstall and stil the same.Tried with a beta 5 and still didn't worked. Then beta 4 and media manager is working there. Something must have changed between b4 and b5. I'm puzzled.
I suggest you read the sticky post at the beginning of this forum category (viewtopic.php?f=803&t=960395). If you have found a defect in J! 4 Beta 5 then it would be a good idea to use the Issue Tracker to report it. Thanks. :)
I'm not a developer. And I didn't know at first if it was an Joomla issue or an Joomla issue triggered by my server setup. I found an older one somewhat close to this( actually K2's media managernot Joomla) but for an 3.x version.

User avatar
sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar
Posts: 9999
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:30 am
Location: Canberra, Australia

Re: Blank popup media manager

Post by sozzled » Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:26 pm

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "an older issue" for J! 3.x or how it relates to J! 4, sorry. If you have more information then it would help to include it here.

The Issue Tracker is not just for developers (although I sympathise with people who are not developers who may be nervous about using it). The point I would like to make is that this forum is not often visited by developers and, because of that, problems (such as the one you've mentioned here) may not always attract their attention. This is a self-help forum but, because J! 4 is not yet stable, we can only offer advice and we can't always provide people with solutions to fix things.

As @ceford wrote earlier, the Media Manager for J! 4 continues to be a work in progress. It's not finished. J! 4 Beta is provided for people to test Joomla; it is not provided for people to build reliable, working websites. We don't know when J! 4 will be available for general use but it won't happen this year (2020).

If you are interested in converting your blogging platform from Wordpress to J!, we would still recommend that you look at J! 3.x for the time being and, after the dust settles on J! 4, consider migrating to J! 4 in the future. I hope that helps.
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?” :)

andoo
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:08 pm

Re: Blank popup media manager

Post by andoo » Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:32 pm

Before posting here googled my issue, searched the forum and I found only one issue similar to this. But it was for an older version of Joomla on the K2 forum, regarding their media manager. Now I'm trying to find and compare files to see what's changed betveen beta 4 and 5 maybe I can figure something out.

andoo
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:08 pm

Re: Blank popup media manager

Post by andoo » Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:41 pm

ceford wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:59 am
There is something wrong with the installation. I have one from 5 December that works fine. A change was made to com_media yesterday and it is possible the scripts were not properly recompiled from sources. Can you try a new download?
Still no luck. Tried to compare uncompressed mediamanager.min.js with the one from Beta 4, last checked by me to not throw the error, but it was a lot of code. No luck with an diff app as it showed me a lot of changes, some of them being function a renamed function b and function b renamed function a. So I just replaced the new one with the old one.

Now I have an working media manager, minus the fact I can't upload anything as I get the error You are not authorized maybe the new mediamanager.min.js having something in it like is admin.

User avatar
ceford
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast
Posts: 167
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:38 pm
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
Contact:

Re: Blank popup media manager

Post by ceford » Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:49 pm

On my Mac, I just downloaded the nightly build from 03:00 this morning. Installed with the Blog sample data and edited an article. The CMS Content / Image link worked normally. I repeated that on my Linux workstation which has a recent install of Linux Mint 20, a Ubuntu derivative. Again, all working with no problem. So is the problem related to Nginx? I am using Apache and PHP 7.4.

andoo
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:08 pm

Re: Blank popup media manager

Post by andoo » Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:36 pm

ceford wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:49 pm
On my Mac, I just downloaded the nightly build from 03:00 this morning. Installed with the Blog sample data and edited an article. The CMS Content / Image link worked normally. I repeated that on my Linux workstation which has a recent install of Linux Mint 20, a Ubuntu derivative. Again, all working with no problem. So is the problem related to Nginx? I am using Apache and PHP 7.4.
Nginx and same, Php 7.4. I don't know if it could be Nginx.

As a desperate try added an user.css file in Atum with this code

Code: Select all

@media (max-width: 992px) {
.media-browser-items-md .media-browser-item {
    width: calc(50% - 15px) !important;
    display: inline-block;
}
}
to at last make the folders an usable size on smaller screens( everything appears and it's working on mobile). To use it like that. But no matter what's the size of selected image is, I get another error there: the file is too large to upload. Although I have an upload limit set at 20mb.

if it weren't for the error I encountered, it would have been extraordinary. I'll keep trying. And thank you for all your help.


Post Reply

Return to “Joomla! 4 Related”