On Media Management

Be informed that this forum is not an official support forum for Joomla! 4.0. Any issues regarding Joomla! 4.0 must be reported at https://issues.joomla.org/.

Joomla 4.0 is still in Beta stage. This forum should be used for sharing information about Joomla! 4.0.

Moderators: ooffick, ooffick

Forum rules
ceford
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

On Media Management

Post by ceford » Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:20 am

Testing the J4 Media component raised a couple of issues for me:
  • The folder icon select menu (top right of the icon on hover) opens with the delete button directly beneath the pointer. Too easy to click again and accidentally select the confirm button. A whole folder full of media and sub-folders gone! That thought led me to ponder trash bins.
  • I have a site with 6000 photographs and 10000 files - managed with a custom component. So I wondered how well the Media component scales. To test, I created a folder containing the 1000 photographs from my photoframe. If I select that folder a thin blue line sweeps across the top of the images display area. But nothing happens. Too many images to display?
So I have spent a couple of weeks working on a different approach to media management. A new component to go on git hub very soon. A sort of Christmas present to the Joomla community. I am not an extension developer so there is a lot I don't know about how to package an extension. Or even if there is something similar already available for Joomla 3. The component is named Media Cat (com_mediacat - I can spell cat). It is for Administrator use only, so not a Gallery.

Features:
  • There is clear separation of images and files.
  • Existing images and files folders are scanned to create a catalogue.
  • New images and files uploaded with Media Cat are entered directly into the catalogue.
  • The displays are normal Joomla list pages, with sorting, pagination, filtering, etc.
  • Click the preview image to view the full image in modal box.
  • Select options to get a Share url, Image tag, Picture tag or Figure tag, or do other things.
  • Include all images in a sub-tree, not just those in a selected folder (an accident but I like it).
  • Provision for sanitizing uploaded SVG images using the well-know sanitizer used for extensions for WordPress and Drupal available on github.
  • Uploaded images must use sensible alt tags to create file names. And a caption cum description.
  • No need to look up and specify mime types - there is a conversion list available on github. Just use common extensions for configuration.
  • File type thumbnails are from another svg library on github. Click to download the file.
To do:
  • Trash: check for usage, move to a trash folder using a hash?
  • Duplicates: look for same file hash.
The Images List Screen
media-cat-images.jpg
The Files List Screen
media-cat-files.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gws
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Re: On Media Management

Post by gws » Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:23 am

Thanks for your efforts, this looks very interesting.

ceford
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by ceford » Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:21 am

An alpha edition is now available from Github:

https://github.com/ceford/j4xdemos-medi ... e/main.zip

Just download and install, select Administrator -> Media Cat -> Media Cat Folders to create an index for your images folder. Then go to Media Cat -> Media Cat Images to start exploring what it does.

I noticed that the Github download shows Installation of the component was successful with COM_MEDIACAT_XML_DESCRIPTION on the next line. I think that is a Joomla Installer bug as I get the translated string from my local zip package file.

Still to come: Trash functions.

Please come back with any comments. I am not sure how far I will take this usable Media Management component.

gws
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by gws » Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:19 am

Downloaded and installed fine on beta 5. Exploring its functions now,seems to be very good.Thanks.

ceford
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by ceford » Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:10 pm

For anyone interested, I have added trash functionality, simplified to use one table rather than two or three. I have also tested on a big set of images - it takes a few minutes to create database entries for 22,000 plus images and is thereafter normally responsive (at returning results). I guess that is platform dependent. I tested on a high spec but now 7-years old Macbook Pro. Anyone who downloaded the first edition should start again with this one.
media-cat-0.3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Joomla! 4 Related”