Joomla 4 Menu Problem Topic is solved

Be informed that this forum is not an official support forum for Joomla! 4.0. Any issues regarding Joomla! 4.0 must be reported at https://issues.joomla.org/.

Joomla 4.0 is still in Beta stage. This forum should be used for sharing information about Joomla! 4.0.
chrisguk
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Joomla 4 Menu Problem

Post by chrisguk » Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:30 pm

I'm still seeing the menu problem I discussed here a few weeks ago on another thread. Sorry for the absence...

I just installed a brand new site with Beta 6 on a brand new database with a brand new file system. This is straight out of the box with no third party extensions and no configuration changes. PHP 7.3.25. On a desktop browser:

- On the main left menu, click "System".
- Then click "Components". The Components menu opens.
- Then click Banners, Contacts, News Feeds, or Smart Search. Nothing happens. The sub-menus do not open.
- Click Tags or Multilingual Associations. These items work ok.
- Now click Banners or any of the other previously dead items. They now work properly.

The problem is repeatable, just click on "System" to re-start the above sequence. It occurs in the latest Chrome, Firefox and Safari on Mac, and in the latest Chrome, Firefox and Edge on Windows. [It does not occur in a very old version of Firefox I have, but it's so old I don't want to bring it into the discussion]. There are no Javascript errors in the console.

If it really is just me I can live with it, but in the circumstances that would be really weird. If someone else could please try this and confirm, I will raise it on the Issue Tracker.

ceford
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: Joomla 4 Menu Problem

Post by ceford » Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:01 pm

I suggest a bit more testing: first set Debug System in Global Configuration - to load the non-minified javascript files. Then in Chrome, open the Developer Tools and find the metismenu.js file in media/vendor/metismenusjs/js and set a break point on line 118. Click the Components menu; continue in steps; then click the Banners menu likewise. What do you find?

chrisguk
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by chrisguk » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:47 pm

Are you saying that you don't experience the problem?

When I click Banners, the clickEvent function is called and execution proceeds to lines 118, 119, 120, 121, 123, 124, 125, 127, 140, 141, 143, 147, 151, 152, 155, 156, 158, 163, 165, 170, and 171. The menu does not open.

I could PM you with access to the site if you want? It's a clean install with no access to anything else.

Thanks.

ceford
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by ceford » Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:57 pm

I have not encountered this problem myself. I am working with a nightly build install from last night. I have been trying stepping through the code from line 118 and stepping into the functions until the closed menu opens and the open one closes. I was hoping that you would find a javascript error. It would not help for me to take a look - I am not sufficiently familiar with metismenu. There are some 'transitions' in there and I might suspect some sort of timing issue. Is your hardware very fast or very slow? Clutching at straws!

chrisguk
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by chrisguk » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:48 pm

Ok, thanks for trying. No, no Javascript errors. I have tried to understand the code and failed, which is a bit of a worry. You'd have thought opening and closing menu items would be pretty straightforward, but this isn't. Average hardware here, nothing special.

Can anyone else please confirm whether following my steps above does, or does not, produce the "dead menu" problem? For me it happens on my Mac and Windows computers in all 6 browsers [all except my ancient version of Firefox].

ceford
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by ceford » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:30 am

I just did a clean install of Joomla_4.0.0-beta7-dev-Development-Full_Package.zip, did not remove Installation directory, went to System menu, then to Components, Banners and Contacts. It all worked normally on Firefox on Mac OSX Catalina. Can you try the beta-7 version?

chrisguk
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by chrisguk » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:19 am

Ok, I just cleared the file system and database and installed that same package, Joomla_4.0.0-beta7-dev-Development-Full_Package.zip, did not remove Installation directory, went to System menu, then to Components, Banners and Contacts. Dead as a doornail. I'm using Mac OSX Mojave but can't believe that matters. Haven't tried Windows but looks like the same problem to me. From memory this problem started in Beta 5.

Ok, if it's just me, never mind. But I doubt it. Anyone else seen this?

chrisguk
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by chrisguk » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:43 am

I found the problem, finally. The reason I see it and no-one else does is that it only occurs with the browser setting "prefers-reduced-motion". All my computers have that setting. The reason I didn't see the problem in Firefox 52 is now clear; that browser is too old to process that setting.

The problem is at line 14510 of Atum template.css, where there is a media query that sets transition-duration: 0s !important; for all elements. Why it causes the menu to stop working is still a mystery, but at least now we can hopefully get it fixed. I will raise an issue on GitHub today. Removing that line fixes the problem completely.

AMurray
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AMurray » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:55 am

Yes, you're more than 30 versions behind on Firefox - V 85.0.2 is the latest - you mean your FF doesn't update itself periodically?
Regards,
--------------------------------------------------------------
A Murray
Help you I can, yes!. Post your question, you should. Keep it on topic you must!
Use the Forc....Forum Post Assistant my young Padawan!

chrisguk
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by chrisguk » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:41 am

There is a specific reason I use an old version of Firefox on one machine and it's not relevant here. But it did help with resolving this issue.

Return to “Joomla! 4 Related”