Update Joomla 4 to newer versions

Be informed that this forum is not an official support forum for Joomla! 4.0. Any issues regarding Joomla! 4.0 must be reported at https://issues.joomla.org/.

Joomla 4.0 is still in Beta stage. This forum should be used for sharing information about Joomla! 4.0.

Moderator: ooffick

Forum rules
sylwekb
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Update Joomla 4 to newer versions

Post by sylwekb » Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:14 pm

Hallo

Can updates from subsequent beta versions of Joomla 4 to newer ones be performed automatically or by downloading update packages and manual uploading?

ceford
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Re: Update Joomla 4 to newer versions

Post by ceford » Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:07 pm

In you Joomla test site:
  • Go to Home Dashboard -> Notifications -> Joomla is up to date (click it anyway)
  • Click on Options and in Update Channel select Custom URL
  • Minimum Stability - Development
  • Custom URL

Code: Select all

https://update.joomla.org/core/nightlies/next_major_list.xml```
  • Save and Close
Back in the Joomla Update page
  • Click Check for Updates
A Live Updat tab appears
  • Click Reinstall Joomla core files
If it all works you will see a green system message:

Code: Select all

Notice Your site has been updated. Your Joomla version is now ‎4.0.0-beta8-dev.
I just did it for today. Keep in mind you are getting the latest nightly build with all the latest bells, whistles and new bugs.

sozzled
I've been banned!

Re: Update Joomla 4 to newer versions

Post by sozzled » Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:40 pm

sylwekb wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:14 pm
Can updates from subsequent beta versions of Joomla 4 to newer ones be performed automatically or by downloading update packages and manual uploading?
Yes, in theory.

I don't know anything about "manual uploading" of packages. I wouldn't trust advice that says there's a "manual upload" method. There's one method for updating J! and that method has been in use for nearly ten years and that method involves using the Joomla! Update component. Any other approach would be risky.

In the past it has been possible (in theory) to update from beta versions to stable versions of J! however many people find that such updates don't work. There are several reasons for this:
  1. Some features/files installed in early development versions are not implemented in later versions and the update procedure does not remove the files associated with those versions;
  2. Some of the features designed for development versions, that are not included with the stable release (and are withheld for a later release), interfere with the stable version; and
  3. Some [so-called J! 4 alpha/beta-ready extensions] don't work with the stable version and need to be uninstalled so that the stable release will operate; third-party extension developers—operating in an environment of attempting to get ahead of the curve—are not keeping pace with the development of J! and, therefore, sometimes can't adapt their extensions in time for the stable release of J! when it happens.
J! 4 beta versions are for testing purposes only; they are not suited for production usage. It's probable that when people work on J! 4 beta sites that they will have to start over again when the stable release happens. That's not a criticism; that's just one of the factors that website developers have to consider when building a web site with software technology that isn't used in the mainstream.

Bear in mind that J! 4 development is fluid: (a) bugs are still being ironed-out (and, as @ceford says, new bugs will be introduced, unintentionally I'm sure, of course), and (b) the features that were planned nearly five years ago may not happen for some time. I'm not saying that you cannot update from J! 4 Beta/RC to J! 4 stable; I'm saying that I probably won't be doing that. 8)

The short answer is: use J! 4 beta (or RC versions if/when they happen) at your own risk. You should be able to update to later versions but there are no certainties that the updated websites will be viable for production purposes.

Return to “Joomla! 4 Related”