Forum Post Assistant / FPA Discussion

This Forum board is about discussions about the FPA tool.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

frostmakk
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Re: Forum Post Assistant / FPA Discussion

Post by frostmakk » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:32 pm

Tested the FPA on localhost WAMP with filegroup() disabled. There are only warnings produced, and the script finishes as it should.
Why do we believe the script has failed? The output looks exactly as it would with all the optional check boxes deselected.

fcoulter
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by fcoulter » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:03 pm

I think you are correct, there is no reason to suppose that the script encountered a fatal error, the script does appear to finish as it should.

I think without knowing what options the user selected (or not) it is impossible to say whether there is actually missing information. However if the hosts disable a rather innocuous function such as filegroup() they almost certainly disabled others too, so my suspicion is that there is missing information. But if so, really the issue is not with the fpa, but with low quality hosting.
http://www.spiralscripts.co.uk for Joomla! extensions
http://www.fionacoulter.com/blog my personal website
Security Forum moderator :: VEL team member
"Wearing my tin foil hat with pride"

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:20 pm

FWIW, the "detailed instructions" relating to how to use the FPA tool—particularly how to generate, copy and paste the BBcode within the Joomla forum—are still usable. However, this topic—currently located in the "Security for J 2.5" forum category—seems misplaced, IMO. For all practical purposes, J! 2.5 is dead and "security issues" relating to that version are largely matters for people to deal with as best as they can.

What may be useful, given the history of the Forum Post Assistant tool and its usefulness w.r.t. most versions of Joomla (going all the way back to J! 1.5, at least) would be to create a new forum category—perhaps under one of the "Feedback" ones(?)—entitled "Forum Post Assistant". After all, we have "feedback" forum categories for using the issue tracker and other standalone features not distributed within the J! CMS installation kit, true?

Getting back to the "detailed instructions" given in the opening post of this topic: these instructions have largely been superseded, explained more fully and and in a more convenient way with the inclusion of companion documentation distributed as part of the FPA download. If you haven't seen the new documentation before, it's worth taking a few moments to download the FPA [.ZIP] file to your PC and extract the file FPA First Time User.pdf from the /Documentation folder in that [.ZIP] file.

This particular [J! 2.5 security-related] topic, that has been kicking around for nearly a decade, can probably be closed. As I said, it may be an idea to have a new forum category for "discussions" about the FPA tool.

Thank you to whomever wrote the doco. It's very well written. Cheers.

Beata
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Beata » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:54 pm

When I upload fpa-en.php to my website root, I get 404 error.
What it means?

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:45 pm

It means that you forget to mention what you did after you uploaded the file.

You must have pointed the browser to a folder that the fpa was not in.
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"When I'm right no one remembers but when I'm wrong no one forgets".

Beata
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Beata » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:21 pm

really, sorry....

buzz64buzz64
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by buzz64buzz64 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:35 pm

Hi, sorry if this has been asked and answered. I used the tool and the hosting company made a change after they looked at the tool. But the problem i was having still exists. So, what do we do so that others in the joomla forum can help me with my problem. I posted an issue earlier this morning, which prompted that i use the FPA.
Thanks,

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:49 pm

buzz64buzz64 wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:35 pm
So, what do we do so that others in the joomla forum can help me with my problem.
Answer: read the instructions in viewtopic.php?f=806&t=969442 and post the report on the topic where you've asked for help (viewtopic.php?f=709&t=970545&p=3562802#p3562802)

Return to “Forum Post Assistant (FPA)”