MS Edge on Win10: MS Defender Smart screen blocks download of FPA package

This Forum board is about discussions about the FPA tool.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

kjersos
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

MS Edge on Win10: MS Defender Smart screen blocks download of FPA package

Post by kjersos » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:34 pm

Just wondering if any else is experiencing their windows computer having heart attacks about FPA downloading and residing on their computer or if that is only me? Just thought I should share as it may turn off some on downloading this to their computer.

Warmly
Nadja
Last edited by imanickam on Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Split from the topic https://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=706&t=974408

sozzled
I've been banned!

Re: MS Edge on Win10: MS Defender Smart screen blocks download of FPA package

Post by sozzled » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:49 am

Thanks, Nadja, for bringing this to our attention.

Although the FPA script is safe, I can confirm that, when using Win10 and MS Edge browser, MS Defender SmartScreen blocks the download of the FPA .zip file. Hopefully, one of the members of the FPA working group can investigate the cause and suggest a change to the documentation to work around the issue.

frostmakk
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by frostmakk » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:13 pm

@sozzled
If you try to download from your own Github fork of the FPA, defender doesn't complain, and that's the same zip-file, so it's probably the location and not the file.
I guess there isn't much we can do about this other than blame it on MS as always.

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:36 pm

Thanks, @frostmakk. We had no problems using an alternative web browser with Win10 (e.g. Firefox). It was just MS Edge that had the problem. I spent time—on Skype—with Nadja to discuss the issue.

I'm only concerned for people using MS Edge who might think that there's some "danger" with the FPA (when we know there isn't) and whether we may need to modify the documentation to let people know that they can safely download the FPA on Win10 using an alternative to MS Edge. Perhaps this is something that @RussW or might want to change?

I don't use MS Edge as my preferred browser-of-choice and I prefer other antivirus detection methods to MS Defender so it's not a problem for me, personally. Other—not so well-informed—users, perhaps, may be unaware of the situation ... that's all I'm saying.

Cheers, mate, and thanks. 8)

Return to “Forum Post Assistant (FPA)”