Admin page logs out in seconds or minutes

General questions relating to Joomla! 4.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
Post Reply
etpourquelque27
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:31 am

Admin page logs out in seconds or minutes

Post by etpourquelque27 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:49 pm

I am having the same issue of login inconsistency with Joomla 4.0.3. Regardless of how many minutes Joomla Session Limit is increased, admin page logs itself out after a few seconds or minutes. It is worth mentioning that htaccess is enabled. The solutions mentioned here so far will NOT cut the mustard. :D
Last edited by toivo on Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod note: split from someone else's topic - please create your own topics in the future!

User avatar
toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master
Posts: 13810
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:48 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Admin page logs out in seconds or minutes

Post by toivo » Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:39 am

Please post the results from the Forum Post Assistant (FPA) by following the instructions at https://forumpostassistant.github.io/docs so that our volunteer experts can review the configuration.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

User avatar
Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master
Posts: 28309
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:27 pm
Location: Romerike, Norway

Re: Admin page logs out in seconds or minutes

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:32 am

What is your Session Storage (database or PHP)?

I will recommend PHP.

User avatar
brian
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master
Posts: 12321
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:19 am
Location: Leeds, UK
Contact:

Re: Admin page logs out in seconds or minutes

Post by brian » Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:39 pm

You are using cloudflare ?
"Exploited yesterday... Hacked tomorrow"
Blog http://brian.teeman.net/
Joomla Hidden Secrets http://hiddenjoomlasecrets.com/

etpourquelque27
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:31 am

Re: Admin page logs out in seconds or minutes

Post by etpourquelque27 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:33 pm

Am I using CloudFlare??? What does that got to do with Joomla version 4.0.3 login itself out? Please enlighten me because I would like to know why you have asked such a crucial question. It is important to tap into your thinking in order to resolve this issue. So far, I have installed this Joomla version in question on three different platforms resulting in the same error outcome. As you can see, I was careful enough to eliminate the platform factor. So, please tell me what you have in the back of your mind. To tell you the truth I have NOT dwell so much on that sudden login out issue. This is something that I will try to debug later.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to help.

User avatar
toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master
Posts: 13810
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:48 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Admin page logs out in seconds or minutes

Post by toivo » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:40 pm

Again, the FPA results would be help the volunteers here to review the configuration.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

etpourquelque27
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:31 am

Re: Admin page logs out in seconds or minutes

Post by etpourquelque27 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:45 pm

Per Yngve Berg wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:32 am
What is your Session Storage (database or PHP)?

I will recommend PHP.
I have not taken the time to really analyze this sudden login out issue. Your question is extremely important. I have to run later a test using different PHP versions to compare results. Thank you for asking and trying to help.

User avatar
brian
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master
Posts: 12321
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:19 am
Location: Leeds, UK
Contact:

Re: Admin page logs out in seconds or minutes

Post by brian » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:46 pm

If you are using cloudflare then there is a known issue which would cause the logout
"Exploited yesterday... Hacked tomorrow"
Blog http://brian.teeman.net/
Joomla Hidden Secrets http://hiddenjoomlasecrets.com/

User avatar
Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master
Posts: 28309
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:27 pm
Location: Romerike, Norway

Re: Admin page logs out in seconds or minutes

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:32 am

Use memcached as session storage. Use the external IP, so all load balancers can read it.

etpourquelque27
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:31 am

Re: Admin page logs out in seconds or minutes

Post by etpourquelque27 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:10 am

Mr. Berg,

Thank you for your suggestion. However, I think the problem may be more complex than that. I am afraid that Fail2ban could interpret the quick login out session as a coding error if and only if an error exists somewhere. Depending on how conservative Fail2ban is configured, it could lock the whole site out. I think the problem could be a timer issue in one of the JS files.

etpourquelque27
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:31 am

Re: Admin page logs out in seconds or minutes

Post by etpourquelque27 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:12 am

brian wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:46 pm
If you are using cloudflare then there is a known issue which would cause the logout
Thank you for the precision. However, I am not using CloudFlare.

User avatar
sozzled
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master
Posts: 11224
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:30 am
Location: Canberra, Australia

Re: Admin page logs out in seconds or minutes

Post by sozzled » Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:20 am

etpourquelque27 wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:49 pm
I am having the same issue of login inconsistency with Joomla 4.0.3. Regardless of how many minutes Joomla Session Limit is increased, admin page logs itself out after a few seconds or minutes. It is worth mentioning that htaccess is enabled. The solutions mentioned here so far will NOT cut the mustard. :D
I know that this topic was split from someone else's topic and that the problem and/or its solution may be dissimilar, but here we are again (with the exception that @brian has mentioned the possibility of Cloudflare or some other CDN being involved) proposing exactly the same approaches! :-\

I clearly remember recent discussions about unexplained logouts after a short period of time; I, too, was puzzled as to what was causing them. Perhaps the strangest case I've seen is the one involving the misbehaviour of the user's modem.

Yes, we've all tried the usual approaches: change the PHP session handler, double-check the session limit, "please post the FPA report", etc. Have a look at this case: viewtopic.php?t=988203 8)
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?” :)

User avatar
toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master
Posts: 13810
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:48 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Admin page logs out in seconds or minutes

Post by toivo » Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:40 am

etpourquelque27 wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:10 am
Depending on how conservative Fail2ban is configured, it could lock the whole site out.
The Fail2Ban extension has been unpublished in JED because of broken links. The latest information on the web was updated by the developer in March this year, but the document refers to Joomla 3.8.8. The Github page was updated last year. Therefore this extension may not be fully compatible with Joomla 4.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

User avatar
brian
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master
Posts: 12321
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:19 am
Location: Leeds, UK
Contact:

Re: Admin page logs out in seconds or minutes

Post by brian » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:26 am

Nice try @toivo but that plugin is just a one line joomla integration with a server product https://www.fail2ban.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
"Exploited yesterday... Hacked tomorrow"
Blog http://brian.teeman.net/
Joomla Hidden Secrets http://hiddenjoomlasecrets.com/

etpourquelque27
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:31 am

Re: Admin page logs out in seconds or minutes

Post by etpourquelque27 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:26 pm

First, let me say thank you to everyone for taking the time to address the Login inconsistency. Second, for some unexplained reasons the problem is NOT reoccurring. I have tried different PHP versions from 7.3.8 to 8.0.11. without any issues. All I did was to enable htaccess and set URL Rewriting to "Yes" in backend. Cleared all caches in browser and Joomla backend, refresh, and logout to login back again. Site was tested in a localhost environment and online. I cannot confirm that the problem is resolved yet (Too early). It is best waiting for a while and see if there will be any issues in the future.

Finally thank you again to all!

etpourquelque27
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:31 am

Re: Admin page logs out in seconds or minutes

Post by etpourquelque27 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:36 pm

I wish to give special credit to Mr. Sozzled because he had previously mentioned in one of his postings to activate htaccess as a solution. Thumb up!

etpourquelque27
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:31 am

Re: Admin page logs out in seconds or minutes

Post by etpourquelque27 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:00 am

toivo wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:40 am
etpourquelque27 wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:10 am
Depending on how conservative Fail2ban is configured, it could lock the whole site out.
The Fail2Ban extension has been unpublished in JED because of broken links. The latest information on the web was updated by the developer in March this year, but the document refers to Joomla 3.8.8. The Github page was updated last year. Therefore this extension may not be fully compatible with Joomla 4.
Thank for your information regarding Fail2ban. It is a server software framework that is independent of Joomla.


Post Reply

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 4.x”