Can't log in or out in Firefox on WinXP

General questions relating to Joomla! 4.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
deleted user

Can't log in or out in Firefox on WinXP

Post by deleted user » Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:23 pm

Can't log in or out to admin with WinXP (+Firefox). Is this a known thing, anyone else run into it? Updated a site I have with no extensions to see what to expect and now have to use a tablet to admin that site. After update I couldn't log out, I logged out from the tablet, then I couldn't log back in. Button lights up but there's no action whatsoever.

Other than that the update went well. The host CP module had an error, but I sent them a screenshot and they said they would look at it.
Last edited by toivo on Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod note: retitled

deleted user

Re: Can't log in or out

Post by deleted user » Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:31 pm

Ha I guess not, must be my problem. I bring up in other places that devs need to watch how far beyond the consumer base they go, maybe someone should tell them the bottom 50% in the US own like 2% of the total wealth. Good luck catering to only those rich enough to upgrade every other day.

In any case if I can't upgrade by the time v3 is done with, maybe before seeing as how we know it will end, it's going to cost you a few dollars, pretty sure my paid account is attached to your affiliate link. See how it goes, I'm not doing anything from a tablet.

(btw when you get to the bottom 40% it gets into tenths of a percent, like .2% of wealth. Something to think about.)

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:33 am

Microsoft ended Windows XP support in 2014. Good that the tablet worked!
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

deleted user

Post by deleted user » Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:43 pm

toivo wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:33 am
Microsoft ended Windows XP support in 2014. Good that the tablet worked!
Yes thank you for the info, but updating PHP when it isn't supported anymore is not the same thing as updating PCs, it doesn't cost anything to keep those up to date, so I can see why you would phase those out.

It is what it is, if you choose to not see my point that's up to you. I hadn't even checked the frontend as that site isn't a log in and do stuff site, this is just admin, if this same thing was happening on the frontend there would be no question about dropping this CMS because I want all people to be able to access sites.

sozzled
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Can't log in or out in Firefox on WinXP

Post by sozzled » Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:03 pm

J! 4 doesn't work using Win XP (because Win XP doesn't support the latest versions of web browsers used on "mainstream" platforms); Win XP had its "day" and its day is over. I have a Win XP box stored under the house somewhere and I will probably donate it to a museum of antique technology (or send it to the local tip). If Win XP is all you have (and you're stuck with it) then it's just tough that you can't view J! 4 websites with it. Sorry. but that's just how things are ... and there's nothing you can do about it. You'd be lucky to find 10 people who use Win XP willing to write a petition to change things.
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?” :)

deleted user

Post by deleted user » Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:56 pm

I would like all of my posts deleted from this forum.

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:07 pm

Please fill in the "Right to be forgotten" request at https://www.joomla.org/right-to-be-forgotten.html.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

SharkyKZ
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by SharkyKZ » Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:57 pm

J4 does work on Win XP, it just doesn't work on outdated browsers like Firefox 52. Use an up to date browser. J4 works well on Maxthon. There are also Firefox forks like Serpent, New Moon, Mypal which still work on XP.

deleted user

Post by deleted user » Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:24 am

SharkyKZ wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:57 pm
J4 does work on Win XP, it just doesn't work on outdated browsers like Firefox 52. Use an up to date browser. J4 works well on Maxthon. There are also Firefox forks like Serpent, New Moon, Mypal which still work on XP.
Thanks for the only useful comment. No idea why it can't be functional across browsers. I tried a few.

Big shot devs can blow that off and act like jerks if they want but it's going to be a problem going forward. Around 15 million people get government phones and they're still using Android 6, so it isn't just one platform. Half the Joomla sites connected to cloud access give warnings and won't connect to those sites through either android 6 or 32bit PC browsers for millions of people just in the US.

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 4.x”