Media Error Message

General questions relating to Joomla! 4.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
cehbyrd
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Media Error Message

Post by cehbyrd » Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:10 pm

I'm completely new to Joomla and am using it for school. When I click on "Media" under "Content" under the admin page, I get the following error message: Property 'mime_type' of argument 'item' of event onFetchMediaItems has a wrong item. Valid: string"

I have no idea what this means. I uploaded Joomla onto our school's server and we are working from there.

If anyone has any suggestions, that would be great. I've already emailed the professor but he hasn't gotten back to me yet.

Thank you!

sozzled
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Media Error Message

Post by sozzled » Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:20 pm

Answered a short time ago: see viewtopic.php?f=811&t=991916
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?”
Walking the talk: https://j4xdemo.enduring.com.au
:)

ceford
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by ceford » Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:46 am

Pretty obscure, even for me. Seems the solution is to enabled fileinfo in php.ini although I have not confirmed that.

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:29 am

Obscure but the function getMimeType() in the file libraries/src/Helper/MediaHelper.php makes the logic perfectly clear.

First the function getMimeType() calls exif_imagetype(), if the exif module is configured in PHP. If it is not, the function calls getimagesize() from the GD extension, which also returns the MIME type.

If neither exif nor GD are included as PHP extensions, the function getMimeType() calls mime_content_type(), which is available if PHP has been compiled using the option --with-mime-magic.

Finally, as the last resort, the MIME type can be returned from the functions finfo_open() and finfo_file(), part of the the PHP extension Fileinfo. If Fileinfo is not enabled, Joomla returns an error.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

ceford
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by ceford » Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:50 am

Obscure but the function getMimeType() in the file libraries/src/Helper/MediaHelper.php makes the logic perfectly clear.
Excellent explanation. With that I would recommend a better PHP installation. All the ones I use come with the exif and the GD library already installed and enabled.

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 4.x”