The blog - why so basic?

General questions relating to Joomla! 4.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
mosif
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

The blog - why so basic?

Post by mosif » Wed May 18, 2022 1:29 pm

I don't know if I'm missing a trick here, but is it me, or does blogging lack any real features - basic ones even, like user profiles, photos, etc.?

Currently, I have to do silly workarounds or download tools that further add to the load to make this basic functionality work with J4.x.

K2 did amazing work with this, but that's clearly missing TLC and won't be seeing any meaningful updates in a really long time.

That's basically it.

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: The blog - why so basic?

Post by AMurray » Wed May 18, 2022 10:28 pm

Joomla is not a dedicated blogging platform, but you can do a blog layout without a lot of effort or additional extensions. https://www.joomlashack.com/blog/joomla ... omla-blog/. (the tutorial appears to be for J3, but the concepts can be adapted to J4).

I'm not sure how to add a author photo or avatar. Was thinking you could do this with custom fields and add a "media" field (the file upload type) to the User Profile component. Not sure how you'd add that to a blog post. Possibly you could use the "intro" or "article image" for this (with some CSS tweaks, a layout override to format the image to a suitable size).
Regards - A Murray

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 4.x”