Is a Custom Module what I want?

General questions relating to Joomla! 4.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
SPDJoomla4
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Is a Custom Module what I want?

Post by SPDJoomla4 » Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:46 pm

I'm back.
So, I'm adding new fields that will be related to 99% of Articles and I would like to display that information with every article and I would like some control over how its displayed. iow, I don't just want to tick the Article Info box, I have a specific layout in mind.

Since this will be displayed in a similar fashion for every article I was thinking maybe creating a module that contains the information would be the way for me to go. Since creating a Module seems a bit of an advanced feature I didn't want to dive to deep into it just to find out it wasn't the right solution.
Am I headed in the right?
Cheers

sozzled
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Is a Custom Module what I want?

Post by sozzled » Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:40 pm

Picture (of what you want) = 1,000 words ...
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?”
Walking the talk: https://j4xdemo.enduring.com.au
:)

SPDJoomla4
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by SPDJoomla4 » Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:14 pm

Template I am using Helix/SP Page Builder has a portfolio "builder" where this https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ajuTK5 ... sp=sharing is the landing page.
What I'm looking for is the author info on bottom right, with additional custom fields, but I can't change that so figured I would just create my own article then use the Blog option for the preview or something like JFilter as I really need a filtering option via tags.
So figured I would make that a module. Actually since all articles would have similar layout maybe create that as a module? Dunno.
Cheers

sozzled
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by sozzled » Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:41 pm

I'm not sure that a J! module is the way to go about this. It sounds like a content plugin (used to provide additional information about the author of the article) may be a better approach. There are several "author information box" plugins listed on the Joomla Extensions Directory that may address the requirement, e.g. AIB, that may do the job but the example I've given—written for J! 3.x (which I've used myself)—may not work for J! 4.x.

I would be happy to provide you with a demonstration of the AIB plugin (used on a J! 3.x website) but I'm not permitted under the forum rules to do that in public because some people may consider it "self promoting"/advertising. If it were my website and I wanted to add extra information about the author, I would write a content plugin; other people may have a different method to address the requirement.

I suppose it's possible to use custom fields but I wouldn't have the first clue how to use that approach in your case. Someone else may be able to help you use custom fields (and the best of luck if you can develop a solution that way). 8)
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?”

SPDJoomla4
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by SPDJoomla4 » Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:18 pm

Thanks much for the info, even knowing the correct term is useful. I will have a look around but may also play around with custom fields as I do have 'custom' needs. Was also thinking I might try with a form bt set to read only if that is possible.
Cheers

sozzled
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by sozzled » Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:33 pm

Just as an FYI, Viktor Vogel's AIB plugin does not work with J! 4.x. :(

If this is the website you're developing that you're the only person creating articles for, there are other ways you can address the issue. It boils down to using some "boiler-plate" facility that adds additional information to every article (if that's what you're seeking to achieve).

A couple of ways you can add "standard information" to all of your articles are (a) to use a custom HTML module that you assign to all your article-related menu items, or (b) use a content plugin that behaves like an "impressum" (see the following screenshot and, this time, with a J! 4.x website), that looks like this:
impressum.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sozzled
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by sozzled » Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:25 pm

There's a common trap that people who use technical discussion forums fall into; I fell into it myself! :-[ The trap is that people ask technical questions about how to use some product feature without analysing whether the feature is fit for purpose.

There's also the danger that, in visiting someone's website, people may be flooded with too much information in one hit. Remember that the attention span of the average site visitor is two seconds or less—if the visitor doesn't find what they're looking for in two seconds, they move on—you've got to capitalise on how those couple of seconds will keep the visitor engaged. To put it another way, adopt the KISS principle. ;)

If a website is one person's masterpiece (or even the result of a handful of collaborators working together), does it matter a great deal if the site visitor knows who wrote the articles that populate the site? Most websites that are built by hobbyists usually have an "about the author" page. If visitors to the site want to know more about the main contributors they can look at this "vanity page" to learn whatever the author wants to tell the world about.

It's easy (and saves fretting about whether a "module" on every page might do the job). Create one article; create a menu item for this article and place the menu item somewhere on the website, for example:
aboutMe.png
Maybe a different lateral approach to the problem is solution you're looking for? ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SPDJoomla4
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by SPDJoomla4 » Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:39 pm

You raise some valid points. Maybe I'll take a step back, put something down in writing about the goals of the site and post something here for feedback.
Cheers

sozzled
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by sozzled » Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:26 am

You can always contact someone to have a personal one-on-one chat over a cup of coffee; it might help you focus on what you're trying to achieve. ;)

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 4.x”