List and detail Topic is solved

General questions relating to Joomla! 4.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
ThosGreen
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

List and detail

Post by ThosGreen » Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:08 pm

I want to make a list-&-detail catalog site like one I made for a small publisher: a list of genres, each genre linked to a list of titles, each title linked to details of that item. I made the original in a flat-file CMS, which has some pros and some cons, and I now wonder whether it would have been better to use a traditional database-driven CMS like Joomla. This is my first foray into this type of CMS and it’s so different I’m bewilderd.

To make the comparison easier I have set up a toy list-and-detail site for a fictional pet club here: [https://tgsketches.me.uk/pico/]https://tgsketches.me.uk/pico/[/url] Now I want to recreate that in Joomla.

I have installed Joomla and have made some static pages but I don’t know how to proceed. Is it possible to create such a site without using an extension? Would it be a page with a menu for ‘types of pet’, leading to a menu for ‘pets of that kind’, leading to actual pets?

Or do I need an extension? If so I’m not sure what type of extension: Component, Module, Plugin, or Template?

Help much appreciated.

sozzled
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: List and detail

Post by sozzled » Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:27 pm

Fairly straightforward.

J! articles are organised in categories.

In your case, if you equate "genres" to categories then you can place the articles for each "genre" into those categories. You don't need other tools or extensions—components, modules, plugins or templates—to do those things. Then you can create menu items that list the articles for each of the categories you have. You can also create another "category list" menu item that provides a "index"—a list of all the categories you have allowing your site visitors to drill down in order to see what is in each of those categories. You can also have a search feature that allows your site visitors to find articles containing text that they may be interested in locating.

Does that help? ???
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?”
Walking the talk: https://j4xdemo.enduring.com.au
:)

ThosGreen
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: List and detail

Post by ThosGreen » Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:58 am

Thank you, sozzled, that sounds very clear and do-able, I'll get down to it.

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 4.x”