Users creating other users

General questions relating to Joomla! 4.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
serio
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Users creating other users

Post by serio » Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:32 pm

Hello everyone, I'm new in this forum and on Joomla 4, so I hope I'm not off topic in this section.

My idea was to create a joomla 4 website where the main users can create other users to share their articles.
Those articles have to be visible only for the users created by the main user and the main user should be able to activate/deactivate any user created.
I hope I've been clear ....
My question would be what's the best way for you to achieve it ? Do you have any tips ?

Thanks everyone for your time.

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: Users creating other users

Post by AMurray » Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:09 pm

Yes, site administrators can create user accounts in Joomla.

I believe the administration-side user levels that can create users are Administrator and Super User. It's not recommended to have more than one Super User, but you could have several Administrators (I'm not sure if Administrator has ability to create and activate the user, or if only the Super User can activate).

Joomla's user management system allows front-end users of the site to self-register (including self-activation) or you can set the account activation to "administrator". As above, site admins can also create users and control that whole process, in which case you need to deactivate the front-end registration if you don't want users registering themselves.

The access to the content created can also be controlled, that is, you set the article to "Registered" whereby only Registered users (when logged on) can see the content. You would probably make the menu items "Registered" access as well, that are linked to the articles.

For an introduction, I recommend you start with a general review of the Joomla documentation. (https://docs.jooma.org) and then move on specifically to the user management and access control sections, then to Menus and Articles.

If you have further questions please ask one per topic and post to the relevant sub-forum.
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 4.x”