Tags and Smart Search Topic is solved

General questions relating to Joomla! 4.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
SPDJoomla4
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Tags and Smart Search

Post by SPDJoomla4 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:30 am

Trying to determine if this expected behaviour.

Say I have a tag with value of 'My Tag' which is assigned to 10 articles. In a different article I have the text 'My Tag'

If I use the List All Tags menu item and select the My Tag tag, I do see all 10 tagged article.

When I do a smart search on My Tag, I only get back the single article with the text 'My Tag' where I would have expected/hoped for 11 articles

Is this expected behaviour or am I doing something wrong? I have run index/cleared and re-ran
Thanks very much

SharkyKZ
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Re: Tags and Smart Search

Post by SharkyKZ » Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:11 pm

Tags are currently not used by core Smart Search plugins.

SPDJoomla4
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by SPDJoomla4 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:48 pm

Ah, so expected. Fair enough. Would you know if there are any future plans for them to be? Or is it something a 3rd party extension might help with?

The key purpose of my site is people coming to it to finding links to stuff based on searching. I do offer a By Tag option and I am working on getting Tag added to articles via an override as my current framework/builder seems to have removed them for some reason. [sigh]

Cheers for the response btw

SharkyKZ
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by SharkyKZ » Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:09 pm

Yes, it's something that could be done with a custom smart search plugin (replacing the core one). For future plans you'd have to ask the developers.

sakiss
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by sakiss » Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:26 pm

Tags are treated like the Categories. They are treated as autonomous entities and not as part of the content's text.
We (https://blue-coder.com) are thinking to develop a plugin to resolve that issue, along with indexing/searching into the custom fields.

So far this is just an idea, but can become reality if there is some interest

SPDJoomla4
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by SPDJoomla4 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:48 pm

All I can say is "I am interested!" very much so. tbh, I'm not sure why it is thought of as separate content since when I add a tag to an article, in my mind, I am stating "This word is relevant to this article" explicitly

This would probably asking to much but I would even like it expanded to where the description of the tag is included. My specific 'use case' for it is that my user base community has a lot of different terms for the same thing (tags). For instance, I create the following tag with description:
- Tag 1
This tag is added to articles related to Tag 1 and Other Tag 1 and Third Tag 1 and Fourth Tag 1.

The above is preferred to creating tags...
- Tag 1
- Other Tag 1
- Third Tag 1
- Fourth Tag 1

I understand 100% if this would be too specific a use case for your plans but figured I would mention it :-)
Best of luck with those plans! Gimme shout if ya need a tester but not sure how useful I would be as I am very much the novice in Joomla but I'm always up for helping out

SPDJoomla4
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by SPDJoomla4 » Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:50 pm

@sakiss - not sure if @ works here and sorry for necroing old post but...

I was wondering if the project you mentioned to add tags to the smart search index was still a possibility. I still have the need :-)

Cheers

sakiss
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by sakiss » Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:33 am

SPDJoomla4 wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:50 pm
@sakiss - not sure if @ works here and sorry for necroing old post but...

I was wondering if the project you mentioned to add tags to the smart search index was still a possibility. I still have the need :-)

Cheers
We did not proceed as i saw no much demand.
If you are interested we can possibly develop it for you, if you are willing to undertake the development costs.

SPDJoomla4
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by SPDJoomla4 » Wed Jul 05, 2023 4:37 pm

Fair enough but unfortunately I have no budget, personal website.
Thanks for responding and sorry to have bothered you. Cheers :-)

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 4.x”