Joomla 4 : can't find Contact component in Component menu

General questions relating to Joomla! 4.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
annette22
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Joomla 4 : can't find Contact component in Component menu

Post by annette22 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:18 am

Hi there,
Just updated from J 3.10 to J 4.2.2. Want to use the Contact component, but can't : the /www/components/com_contact folder is present on the server, but I can't see any link in the admin Components menu.

Just re-installed the Joomla core files, but no change. Can anyone please help ?

sozzled
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Joomla 4 : can't find Contact component in Component menu

Post by sozzled » Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:39 am

Sounds like either (a) the _menu table and/or (b) _extensions table is/are corrupted.

viewtopic.php?p=3649890 may help.
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?”
Walking the talk: https://j4xdemo.enduring.com.au
:)

annette22
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: No contacts in the admin panel after upgrading from Joomla 3.10.4 to 4

Post by annette22 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:53 pm

Hi there,
I have the same problem after upgrading from 3.10 to 4.2.3 today : access possible to Contacts using the link administrator/index.php?option=com_contact&view=contacts.

Now I'm trying to do what Steepedincode says :
The following two steps fixes the issue for me:

1) Change the title for the path "contact/Contacts" to "com_contact_contacts".

2) The parent ID for both "com_contact_contacts" and "com_contact_categories" show an incorrect parent_id (7 instead of 107 in this example). Change to the correct parent ID for both child menu items. Issue fixed.
Found that takes place in the menu table. I must admit I d'ont really know what I'm doing here. Is that 107 parent id the same on all joomla sites ? Should I replace the parent ID to 107 ? Tried, but still no Contact link in the Component menu.

Can you please help ?
Last edited by toivo on Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod note: split from someone else's topic - cross posting not allowed!

annette22
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by annette22 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:55 pm

Thanks sozzled. I did follow the link, and yes it's eaxctly my problem : posted a new question there.

steepedincode
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: No contacts in the admin panel after upgrading from Joomla 3.10.4 to 4

Post by steepedincode » Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:27 pm

annette22 wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:53 pm
Hi there,
I have the same problem after upgrading from 3.10 to 4.2.3 today : access possible to Contacts using the link administrator/index.php?option=com_contact&view=contacts.

Now I'm trying to do what Steepedincode says :
The following two steps fixes the issue for me:

1) Change the title for the path "contact/Contacts" to "com_contact_contacts".

2) The parent ID for both "com_contact_contacts" and "com_contact_categories" show an incorrect parent_id (7 instead of 107 in this example). Change to the correct parent ID for both child menu items. Issue fixed.
Found that takes place in the menu table. I must admit I d'ont really know what I'm doing here. Is that 107 parent id the same on all joomla sites ? Should I replace the parent ID to 107 ? Tried, but still no Contact link in the Component menu.

Can you please help ?
No, the ID 107 is not likely the same for you. If it helps, go to phpMyAdmin and sort the columns in the "_menus" table by "title".

Then look for a menu item with the "title" = "com_contact". It is the one in the "menutype" = "main" and has the "path" = "Contacts" (and NOT the path "contact/Contacts). This is the parent item "Contacts" in the admin menu. Make sure you are looking at the menutype "main" and not some other menutype.

Make note of that menu item's ID.

Now in that same area look for two more menu items -- one with the title "com_contacts_categories" (path "contact/Categories") and another named "com_contact" (path "contact/Contacts"). These are the menu items that should be sub-items of Components -> Contact in the admin menu.

Next, note the parent ID for those two items. If they do not match the ID of the item titled "com_contact" (path "Contacts") then edit the two records and update the parent ID to be the same as "com_contact" (path "Contacts").

Lastly, update the sub-menu item title "com_contact" (path "contact/Contacts") to have the title "com_contact_contacts".

TIP: make a backup of the "_menus" table before you make these changes. In phpMyAdmin you can export the table, or in the "Operations" tab for the table, make a copy of it. My practice is to rename the copied table with a prefix of "BAK_", ie.: "BAK_menus" and save it in the same database.

Feel free to DM me if you still have questions about this.

DISCLOSURE: This is the fix that worked for me, so please don't take this as an official fix. :)

EDIT: "sozzled" is correct, the original thread is here: viewtopic.php?p=3649890

annette22
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by annette22 » Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:16 am

contact-capture.png
Thanks steepedincode for those explanations, and sorry for the delay (I had to drop all web activities for weeks).
So I did what you suggested : in phpMyAdmin, after saving the menu table, found the mentioned links, BUT not with the "Main" menu type, but the "Menu' menu type. I matched the parent "com_contact item with its 2 children, but without any visible effect in the administration Components menu (see enclosed image of "Menu" items).
I can still access the Contacts management using that administrator/index.php?option=com_contact&view=contacts link, but it's not very practical.

Have you any idea about what i could do now to solve this issue ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

steepedincode
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by steepedincode » Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:12 pm

annette22, the only difference I see between your database example and mine is that your Contact component appears to be unpublished. Here's a link to the screenshot I uploaded in the other thread: download/file.php?id=133695&mode=view

You can see under "Published" mine are showing "1" while yours are showing "0". Could that make a difference? Perhaps backup the menus table and try changing 0 to 1 and see what happens.

Another step you might try is to compare the values for com_contact_contacts and com_contact_categories with the other child items in the Components/Contact item, "fields" and "field groups."

Here's the original topic thread: viewtopic.php?p=3649890

Let us know how you do.

sozzled
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by sozzled » Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:09 pm

Makes sense to me 8)
j_menuTable-rowsWithPublished.eq.0.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?”
Walking the talk: https://j4xdemo.enduring.com.au
:)

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:49 pm

A couple of options
1. Recover by using your backup
2. Reinstall core files then Extensions Discover.
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"When I'm right no one remembers but when I'm wrong no one forgets".

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 4.x”