Expanded Editor Topic is solved

General questions relating to Joomla! 4.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
smachimo
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Expanded Editor

Post by smachimo » Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:06 pm

Hello,

After upgrading to Joomla 4, I've noticed that the text block editor updates have limited the options for customization. There used to option to change font colours or highlight words, but now these features are not readily available.

Is there some feature that needs to be activated to get access to these features?

Thank you for the help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: Expanded Editor

Post by AMurray » Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:44 pm

What editor are you using?.

It would appear that it could be the 'profile' settings in the editor (e.g. JCE). For example, see JCE's documentation concerning the way it uses profiles.

Profiles (in JCE) give you the ability to create specific 'instances' of JCE, and allows you to display or not, particular tool bar items. Perhaps those formatting functions you mention are not included in the "profile" of the editor you're using.

I believe the default included editor (TinyMCE) has similar funcitonality to JCE (as JCE is a fork of TinyMCE).

That's just a guess. It seems your screenshot is as seen on a mobile phone? What about on a desktop/laptop? does the editor display any additional toolbar buttons for formatting? JCE seems to have a 'default' profile for "Mobile". It would appear that's what is being used. Whether set deliberately to that profile, or perhaps it defaults to that when it detects a mobile device being used, it would seem to be a logical answer.
Regards - A Murray

smachimo
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by smachimo » Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:53 am

AMurray wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:44 pm
What editor are you using?.

It would appear that it could be the 'profile' settings in the editor (e.g. JCE). For example, see JCE's documentation concerning the way it uses profiles.

Profiles (in JCE) give you the ability to create specific 'instances' of JCE, and allows you to display or not, particular tool bar items. Perhaps those formatting functions you mention are not included in the "profile" of the editor you're using.

I believe the default included editor (TinyMCE) has similar funcitonality to JCE (as JCE is a fork of TinyMCE).

That's just a guess. It seems your screenshot is as seen on a mobile phone? What about on a desktop/laptop? does the editor display any additional toolbar buttons for formatting? JCE seems to have a 'default' profile for "Mobile". It would appear that's what is being used. Whether set deliberately to that profile, or perhaps it defaults to that when it detects a mobile device being used, it would seem to be a logical answer.
I am using SP Page Builder, but I think I may need to be talking to them direclty about this...

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by AMurray » Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:31 pm

SP Page Builder uses the standard article editor - whatever is set in global configuration.

I'm not sure SPPB is the issue here. As mentioned earlier, check the 'profile' set for your editor (meaning, JCE or TInyMCE, not SP Page Builder itself).

I'm using the SPPB v4 (on Joomla 4.2.3), so it may be different for you but even when editing a 'text block' in SPPB, in the narrow popup window it presents, I'm still getting all the toolbar buttons for JCE (my editor) as set in JCE's profile settings.
Regards - A Murray

smachimo
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by smachimo » Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:37 pm

AMurray wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:31 pm
SP Page Builder uses the standard article editor - whatever is set in global configuration.

I'm not sure SPPB is the issue here. As mentioned earlier, check the 'profile' set for your editor (meaning, JCE or TInyMCE, not SP Page Builder itself).

I'm using the SPPB v4 (on Joomla 4.2.3), so it may be different for you but even when editing a 'text block' in SPPB, in the narrow popup window it presents, I'm still getting all the toolbar buttons for JCE (my editor) as set in JCE's profile settings.
Thank you Murray. This helped me figure it out :)

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 4.x”