Checking Extensions takes 5+ minutes Topic is solved

General questions relating to Joomla! 4.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
JDude56
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Checking Extensions takes 5+ minutes

Post by JDude56 » Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:10 pm

Running J!4.2.3
System is running great, performing well.
Running only 5 J!4 compatible components/modules, no rocket science so far.

The only thing that I have since its start is that in my admin panel 'Checking extentions, - overides and - requests' take way too long before they appear (if they appear at all). Sometimes only after 10 minutes or so.

Can you hint me what might cause this?
Personally I think it has something to do with activated caching, but cannot put my finger on it really :geek:

sozzled
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Checking Extensions takes 5+ minutes

Post by sozzled » Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:37 pm

10 minutes is excessive. 5 minutes is too long.

When I'm working with J! websites located on my personal, PC-hosted testing environment, it takes longer to check if there are extension updates available than when I'm working with websites hosted on a commercial service. I've put down the reason for this as to the speed of the internet connection between the hosting environments.

When a website owner goes to the J! 4 control panel, the extension "checking" process occurs in the background and may not finish for a few seconds after the "control panel" page has loaded. The background activity consists of going through each active record in the _update_sites table and contact the update servers employed with those extensions to match the installed extension with the current extension on the update server. To put it in simple terms, there's a whole lot of checking going on.

This checking is done over the internet.

If the internet speed is slow, things take longer. If the update server is unresponsive, the check times out (which can lead to deactivating the record in the _update_sites table. The more extensions you have installed (together with the more active records in the _update_sites table, the longer the checking process with take.

The first thing that I would do is to rebuild the Update Sites. Then "check" again and look for any errors or warnings; after doing those things, check the list of Update Sites and see if any records are deactivated. Or, to put it in simple terms, you probably have to do some checking yourself. :)
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?”
Walking the talk: https://j4xdemo.enduring.com.au
:)

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by AMurray » Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:02 am

As @sozzled alludes to, the checking of update servers time is only as good as the speed/responsiveness of those update servers. Outside the control of Joomla itself.
Regards - A Murray

incolor
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by incolor » Thu Oct 13, 2022 6:41 pm

I have the same problem. Is there any easy ways to figure out which one(s) are causing the problem? Like a log file or something?

I tried manually deactivating groups of 3 update sites to see if I could quickly narrow it down that way, but that wasn't helpful. I notice that there are several that were already marked inactive. Is it safe to delete those?

When you say to rebuild the Update Sites, how would I go about doing that? Just reinstall the extension?

sozzled
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by sozzled » Thu Oct 13, 2022 6:54 pm

incolor wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 6:41 pm
I notice that there are several that were already marked inactive. Is it safe to delete those?
I wouldn't delete anything yet.

incolor wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 6:41 pm
When you say to rebuild the Update Sites, how would I go about doing that?
See screenshot below:
j4x_updateSites-rebuild.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?”

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Thu Oct 13, 2022 7:02 pm

Also note that not all extensions use the update system. Although those are few now.
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"When I'm right no one remembers but when I'm wrong no one forgets".

sozzled
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by sozzled » Thu Oct 13, 2022 7:05 pm

@Webdongle: if extensions do not use the J! update system then they won't be checked when you login to the backend. This discussion is that about the unusual/excessive length of time it takes for J! 4.x to check for new updates that may be available for installed extensions and what may be done about that problem.

JDude56
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by JDude56 » Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:46 pm

I disabled caching (don't do that - causing lots of J!4 issues with third party modules) but that didn't do the trick. What I did see is that if I click on the 'Extension' button (1) during that time, the button turns red, with following content:
Joomla_stuff1310.jpg
Does someone recognize this? For me it looks like there might be unknown extensions involved. Also the '&hellip;' text (3) doesn't ring my bell?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sozzled
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by sozzled » Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:49 pm

JDude56 wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:46 pm
Also the 'hellip&' text (3, should that be 'help') doesn't ring my bell?
&hellip; normally would display as a horizontal ellipsis (look it up).

JDude56
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by JDude56 » Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:06 pm

Well, that took a while but finally got the solution for this delay.
Thanks to a module that I have installed I read that I didn't activate mCurl in php. After done so, it all works fine again. Sometimes the solution is in front of you but you don't see it. Must be my age ;-)
Thank y'all for your kind responses, appreciate your support.
./joz

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 4.x”