Category Blog View in Module? Topic is solved

General questions relating to Joomla! 4.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
williama
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Category Blog View in Module?

Post by williama » Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:24 pm

Hi guys, I am trying to re-style my webpage as a one-page styled website.
I have figured out how to have the menu buttons scroll to different parts of the page, but I want to show several categories on the same page but in the category blog view with images. This is possible from menu with one category, but it does not seem possible with a module?

Ideally, I would like to have one line of 4 images from one category, and then 4 from another category below that.
I guess the best way to do this would be with modules assigned to only show when this page is loaded.
If there is a way to incorporate this into the article, that would be better though.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Here's a reference for the kind of style I am going for. See how the case studies and articles sections list four
https://www.dragonfly.co.uk

Thank you.

williama
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: Category Blog View in Module?

Post by williama » Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:02 am

The 'Articles - Newsflash' module almost seems to do this, but does not allow listing in columns.
Is there a way to modify this so that it does?

It seems like such a basic feature that is missing... well it's even there, just as a component rather than a module.

Pavel-ww
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Pavel-ww » Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:09 am

williama wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:02 am
The 'Articles - Newsflash' module almost seems to do this, but does not allow listing in columns.
Hi. I believe all you want can be done through CSS. Provide the link to your page with 'Articles - Newsflash' modules

williama
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by williama » Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:01 am

Hi Pavel,

Thank you so much for the reply. Here is a link to my test page.

https://www.waproductions.com/index.php/test

Ideally, I would like them to display in 4 columns. So four across, then another four across, and so on.

Pavel-ww wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:09 am
williama wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:02 am
Hi. I believe all you want can be done through CSS. Provide the link to your page with 'Articles - Newsflash' modules

Pavel-ww
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Pavel-ww » Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:12 pm

williama wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:01 am
Ideally, I would like them to display in 4 columns. So four across, then another four across, and so on.
Here is

Code: Select all

.newsflash {
	display: grid;
	grid-template-columns: repeat(4, 1fr);
}
Result
1.jpg
--

Better to add your own class name to the module settings (Advanced Tab) and use it instead of .newsflash selector in the code
2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

williama
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by williama » Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:45 pm

That's great, thank you so much Pavel. Is it possible to add padding/space between each column?

Also, using it seems like using my own class name puts everything in one column straight down, the rest of the columns are empty.

Pavel-ww wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:12 pm
williama wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:01 am
Here is

.newsflash {
	display: grid;
	grid-template-columns: repeat(4, 1fr);
}
Result
1.jpg
--

Better to add your own class name to the module settings (Advanced Tab) and use it instead of .newsflash selector in the code
2.jpg

williama
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by williama » Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:51 pm

I have managed to add space between the columns using the below, but it also adds space either side of the whole table. Is there any way to counteract that? Thank you.

grid-gap: 0 1em;

Pavel-ww
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Pavel-ww » Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:58 am

williama wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:51 pm
I have managed to add space between the columns using the below, but it also adds space either side of the whole table. Is there any way to counteract that? Thank you.

Hi.
Now this page https://www.waproductions.com/index.php/test redirects to the login page. Where to see what you did?

williama
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by williama » Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:53 pm

Sorry, it should work now.
Pavel-ww wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:58 am
williama wrote:

Hi.
Now this page https://www.waproductions.com/index.php/test redirects to the login page. Where to see what you did?

Pavel-ww
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Pavel-ww » Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:46 am

williama wrote:

Hi. This property does not add а space either side of the whole table. Explore this through Dev Tools of your browser to see what this space adds.
1.jpg
--

You can override this like that.

.card-body {
	padding: 0;
}
But this code will affect all .card-body elements in other places. If you want to avoid this, add margin property to your code for .newsflash instead of using the code for .card-body padding.

margin-inline: -15px;
2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

williama
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by williama » Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:12 am

Thank you so much Pavel, that all makes sense. I have gone with the latter suggestion to avoid affecting other card-body elements.

Last question, if I wanted to do this all via Module Class, how can I stop everything appearing in one column?
Everything looks correct with .newflash, but as soon as I set my own module class everything gets put into one column.

Thank you.
Pavel-ww wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:46 am
williama wrote:

Hi. This property does not add а space either side of the whole table. Explore this through Dev Tools of your browser to see what this space adds.

1.jpg
--

You can override this like that.

.card-body {
	padding: 0;
}
But this code will affect all .card-body elements in other places. If you want to avoid this, add margin property to your code for .newsflash instead of using the code for .card-body padding.

margin-inline: -15px;

2.jpg

Pavel-ww
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Pavel-ww » Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:44 am

williama wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:12 am
Last question, if I wanted to do this all via Module Class, how can I stop everything appearing in one column?
Everything looks correct with .newflash, but as soon as I set my own module class everything gets put into one column.
Hi.

.newsflash is still the target element for the code. And again, Dev Tools is your best assistant.

See where your .cat-blog-view-mod class was added, and then you can understand that you need to create a composite selector to aim at the .newsflash using your class.
2.jpg

williama
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by williama » Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:48 am

OK understood, I have got that working now. :)

Sorry, one more question on this. When viewing on mobile, things start to get a little mixed up.
Is it possible to make four columns appear as 2 or 1, or just something that fits better with a narrow mobile display?
Make the columns more responsive or dynamic depending on the size of the window?

Thank you.
Pavel-ww wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:44 am
williama wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:12 am
Hi.

.newsflash is still the target element for the code. And again, Dev Tools is your best assistant.

See where your .cat-blog-view-mod class was added, and then you can understand that you need to create a composite selector to aim at the .newsflash using your class.
2.jpg

Pavel-ww
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Pavel-ww » Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:50 pm

williama wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:48 am
Sorry, one more question on this. When viewing on mobile, things start to get a little mixed up.
Is it possible to make four columns appear as 2 or 1, or just something that fits better with a narrow mobile display?
Make the columns more responsive or dynamic depending on the size of the window?
Change this value as you need at the breakpoints you need
1.jpg
Something like ...

@media (max-width: 767.98px) {
    .cat-blog-view-four-col .newsflash {
        grid-template-columns: repeat(2, 1fr);
    }
}
@media (max-width: 575.98px) {
    .cat-blog-view-four-col .newsflash {
        grid-template-columns: 1fr;
    }
}

williama
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by williama » Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:46 pm

That's great, thank you. Works perfectly.

Thank you so much for all your help Pavel. :)

Pavel-ww
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Pavel-ww » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:22 am

You are welcome.
Glad was to help

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 4.x”