Smart Search Logic/Info returned

General questions relating to Joomla! 4.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
ChrisASCA
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Smart Search Logic/Info returned

Post by ChrisASCA » Mon May 27, 2024 5:37 am

Hello all

I am trying to have my website return any information I have to anyone that uses my smart search box whether they are logged in yet or not.

My end goal is this. I want people to find my website and search for any key word or info that they may be interested in and realise that my site has a lot of really good resources that they want to read and learn from and they should register an account to read everything!!!

What I don't want them to do is find my homepage or search box and type a word in they are interested in articles about and not ever know that I had lots more to read if they joined up.

For an example if they found my site and typed 'surfing' into my smart search box on the home page, they would get 11 pages returned and the topics of the article title would be shown.

At that point they might think ' ahh well, this isn't a very useful site for me, I will go and find another website that could help me'.

Whereas if they were a registered user with me already and logged in first and then typed 'surfing', the same smart search box would return them 80 pages of articles to read and my current users say 'this site is really useful for me, I don't need to go and find another that could help me - this is my go to site'

What I'm really looking for is any visitor to find my site, type 'surfing' in the search box (logged in or not), it finds any mention anywhere of that word and returns 80 articles to the first time visitor. 11 of them are ready to use but the clever bit is the other 69 articles tease them with the ole' - 'sign in to read more of this amazing information you are interested in.'

Can anyone please help me achieve this option?

I have found the following locked topic mentioned below viewtopic.php?t=993105 and while it confuses me a little I think I do understand the logic from both sides.

What I am really hoping for is that for a non-member of my Joomla site, Joomla is able to showcase all the amazing and really insightful articles we have put together over time and let anyone see that the content I can give them is all here in the one place but some articles are only available to you as a member rather than not available to you at all and you will never ever know I even have them.

I'd love for visitors to type in a word or phrase of interest to them - have the search return all that we have - they get excited and click on an article that shows the text before the message that says - login to read more.

But if they have searched for a phrase or keyword that sits deep down in that article after the read more link - it is still returned to them as a non-signed in visitor.

I hope i am making sense and this is possible.

All the best to everyone reading this.

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 4.x”