Joomla update notification with an odd domain name

General questions relating to Joomla! 4.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
michele654
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Joomla update notification with an odd domain name

Post by michele654 » Wed Oct 18, 2023 3:49 pm

Hello,

There is a domain in China that resolves to my IP address. Can't stop them from doing that, I don't know why they want to do that. They just get shuffled to the real site when they end up there.

However, sometimes my Joomla update notifications come with that odd domain in the Subject Line, like this:

Joomla! Update available for [my real domain name] – httxs://homeservernetworks.com/
(x added so it doesn't make it a link)

Why does this happen? When I do a reverse lookup on my IP address, it resolves to yet another thing (Hosting company name). How is this name making it into my server notifications?

-Michele
-Michele

Dear God, I have a problem. It's me.

sohopros
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: Joomla update notification with an odd domain name

Post by sohopros » Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:22 am

We are seeing a similar issue on one of our domains. Getting an update notification with an odd subdomain that doesn't exist: Joomla! Update available for [website name] – https://charcoal.[website-domain].com/.
There is nothing in our database referencing "charcoal", nor is this a valid subdomain.

Does anyone have any input on this?
SOHO Prospecting
https://www.sohoprospecting.com - Joomla Website development
Southern California - USA
Phone 866.644.7646

gws
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by gws » Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:59 am

Both sound like the have DNS issues.
Try https://mxtoolbox.com/DNSLookup.aspx

michele654
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by michele654 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:19 pm

Just to note, we moved our server to a different company with new IP addresses, and that has resolved the problem, as the homeservernetworks.com now resolves to the old IP address.

Although it *is* a DNS issue, it is not one that I can control. I can't control someone else pointing their domain at my IP address.

But Joomla should not somehow be grabbing that odd domain name when all over the config the correct name is listed, and I'm not even sure how Joomla was grabbing that domain name that simply pointed to the IP address, reverse DNS listed the hosting provider.

"DNS issues" doesn't explain why Joomla ignored all the references to the correct domain, and somehow grabbed that odd domain not linked to the site in any way.

-Michele
-Michele

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:31 pm

When you are on a shared host, there are many domains that points to the same IP Address. If you have a VPS with your own IP Address, the situation is different

michele654
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by michele654 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:34 pm

I am never on a shared host, at both hosting providers I'm on a dedicated server. We have 3 IP addresses. Dedicated to only us.

I can't stop someone else from putting our IP address in their DNS however.
-Michele

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:12 am

homeservernetworks.com is located in Toronto.

whois homeservernetworks.com

michele654
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by michele654 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:27 pm

My domain has nothing to do with homeservernetworks.com. When this first came up last year, I did all the research.

We were already in the process of building a new server at a new hosting company, and decided it wasn't worth the effort to pursue why they pointed to our IP when we would be moving away from that IP address. They still point to the old IP address, and this is not a problem for me anymore.

My issue was Joomla! somehow pulling and using that domain name with the email notification that my site needed an update. I don't see how that happened. Notification comes from within Joomla, and that domain name was nowhere in our site. Joomla telling me my site "homeservernetworks.com" needed an update is how I found that they pointed to us. Joomla should not have been aware of that domain name though.
-Michele

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:19 pm

The story is that someone tried to access that domain and via the IP ended up at your Joomla Site triggering the email.

This is not a Joomla issue, but your badly configured web server. Most web servers (at least Apache and Nginx) supports several web sites hosted through Virtual Hosts. Your Joomla should reside in a VH that is identified by your domain. The default VH should be a dummy site or better return a 403.

michele654
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by michele654 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:40 pm

I do have VHs set up, but I also have a default that goes to the company website, because why miss a chance for someone to see the site. I wouldn't consider it a "badly configured web server."

I am surprised that Joomla doesn't send the email until someone tries to access the site, but at least that is a possible explanation, the first one I've heard. I have many sites that people rarely visit, but I get the emails all together when there's an update.
-Michele

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 4.x”