Migrating Joomla! 3.9.4 to Joomla! 4 Beta

General questions relating to Joomla! 4.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
pmacaodhgain
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Migrating Joomla! 3.9.4 to Joomla! 4 Beta

Post by pmacaodhgain » Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:42 pm

Hi all,

I have had a Joomla! website installed on Joomla 3.9.4 with a template called "J51 - Artisan". I've successfully updated all the way to 3.9.4 since 2015, but recently tried out the update to Joomla! 4 Beta with a 500 server error.

When I investigate, by changing error reporting to "maximum", I get the following information on the homepage.

I also get these:

I tried to figure out what it could be that is causing the problem, and two pieces of evidence seem to stand out - firstly that there is a problem with jsnframework (which I note is causing problems for other peoples' updating of Joomla!), and secondly that the main template itself could be the problem (as this thread seems to point to templates that are incompatible with Joomla! v4 https://github.com/joomla/joomla-cms/issues/24642).

For now, I have rolled back the changes to this morning's backup, but I would like to try updating again if possible.

Any help with what the cause seems to be would be greatly appreciated.

All the best,
Pádraig

gws
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: Migrating Joomla! 3.9.4 to Joomla! 4 Beta

Post by gws » Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:10 pm

Update joomla to the latest 3.9.28 for necessary DB changes, then 3.10 when ready and then J4 when it is released. Bad practice to use J4 on a live site right now.

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 4.x”