notification errors and media tab problem Topic is solved

General questions relating to Joomla! 4.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
jpflathead
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

notification errors and media tab problem

Post by jpflathead » Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:12 pm

I often have these 2 problems together that in the admin site in the Home Dashboard 4 of the 5 blocks in the Notification tab are red: "Unknown Joomla...." , "Unknown extentions...." , "Error on checking overrides." and "Unknown requests...." . But "Backup up to date" is green. Yes, Akeeba is installed.
And when these 4 are red the Content -> Media tab does not display the contents of the images folder.
Sometimes, and I don't know what triggers it, these 4 Notification tabs become green and the Media tab shows the correct contents.
The site runs on a Linux host and is on version 4.0.2. Site has only text articles with embedded pictures, no extra components.
Anyone an idea where this might come from?
Because Media does not display the correct folders I cannot upload pictures.
It happened at my home and now it happens at this other place as well. I can add articles.

ceford
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Re: notification errors and media tab problem

Post by ceford » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:58 am

There is a problem with the media component - if you attempt to edit an image and click on Save several times in quick succession the image gets corrupted and that kills the media display. See if you can find a corrupted image - I just tested and the corrupt image was only 3 bytes long - and delete it or restore from back-up. I thought this problem had been fixed but it appears not. The intermittent nature of this problem is probably because it is Javascript related. I have not met the other notification problems.

ghazal
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by ghazal » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:53 am

MariaDB or MySQL ?

jpflathead
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jpflathead » Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:26 am

The strange thing is 2 days ago I changed the backup folder of Akeeba (permission 777) and I changed the Joomla temp folder to 777 and then things worked.
The only issue that is still open, and I cannot solve because I'm not at home, is the PHP temp folder.
Next day, when I was at another place, the error was back again. (We are touring with our motorhome and I make a kind of blog with pictures). ATS says me the only thing that has changed is my IP address. I use the same laptop on the same website.
I cannot recall having this kind of error with Joomla version 3, although I'm not sure.
I'm confused.
Edit: Oh, and I am quite sure my provider uses MariaDB.
And about the notification errors: it feels like some process can't access something so it might be some privilege issue. But that is a feeling I have.
And I only upload images, never edit them. I scale them on the laptop with Tinouos to 800x600 and then upload them and then in the editor add a link to the picture in toggled mode.

ghazal
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by ghazal » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:08 am

* Check if the paths are correct in :
- Global Configuration->Server->Path to Temp Folder
- Global Configuration->Logging->Path to Log Folder

* Once this done, try this, select " filesystem " in Global Configuration->System -> Session : Session Handler
Only if your server stack is using MariaDB

Thanks to @sozzled who mentioned this feature

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by AMurray » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:15 am

You shouldn't need to change any permission to 777 it should be 755.
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

ghazal
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by ghazal » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:17 am

AMurray wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:15 am
You shouldn't need to change any permission to 777 it should be 755.
100% agreed.

jpflathead
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jpflathead » Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:02 pm

ghazal wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:08 am
* Check if the paths are correct in :
- Global Configuration->Server->Path to Temp Folder
- Global Configuration->Logging->Path to Log Folder

* Once this done, try this, select " filesystem " in Global Configuration->System -> Session : Session Handler
Only if your server stack is using MariaDB

Thanks to @sozzled who mentioned this feature
path to Temp and Log folders ar correct, Temp = <website_root>/temp, Log = <w_r>/Joomla/Administrator/logs and both exist. There is no log file in the log folder, only 2 php files and the index.html.
Log priorities are E,A,C,E,W.
Changing the Session Handler didn't do anything.

jpflathead
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jpflathead » Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:12 pm

Latest update: I entered User Menu -> Accessiblility Settings, didn't change anything, chose Close, had to log in again and now things work again and the red items are green.
I don't get it.
And hope it stays that way (but am not sure).

Edit: The user I login with is the user that created te website (superuser)

2ndEdit: at the end of the evening I switched off my laptop. And back on again to check wether things still worked. And not to my surprise the problem was back. So again in User Menu -> Accessibility Settings, Close, got logged out, logged back in and it worked again. Then I went back to the User Menu -> Accessibility Settings, Close again and then I was NOT logged out.
Very strange indeed. Anyone any idea?

jpflathead
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jpflathead » Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:03 am

More info: I restored with Akeeba my website in a XAMPP with PHP7.3 and the error was not there.
Today I restored my site in a virtualbox machine with Debian10.10 and PHP7.3.29 and the error was back.
Also the auto-logout with the close of Accessibility Settings.
The question is now: is this a bug or something else? I don't have a clue what is causing this behaviour.

jpflathead
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jpflathead » Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:53 pm

The problem is that my website, https://krelekamp.nl has 3 aliases: www.krelekamp.nl,krelekamp.net and www.krelekamp.net. When I was loggedout by Accessibility I was redirected to the main site and then it worked.
It had to do with CORS and COOP and my son, who is my hoster will dig into that (we did already half an evening struggling with a .htaccess file to do the redirect...) as trying to get CORS and COOP working did not work out...
Last edited by jpflathead on Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:55 pm

jpflathead wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:26 am
The strange thing is 2 days ago I changed the backup folder of Akeeba (permission 777) and I changed the Joomla temp folder to 777 and then things worked.
jpflathead wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:03 am
The question is now: is this a bug or something else? I don't have a clue what is causing this behaviour.
As all of us have observed, you should not change the folder or file permissions from the recommended settings. If you need to make changes to these things then it probably indicates a web hosting issue.

My guess—it's only a guess—is that you don't "own" these folders or files: see viewtopic.php?t=656129. It's a little technical but basically the idea is that folders/files should probably be "owned" by apache:apache. If you understand how the CHOWN command works, it's easy; if you don't then ask your webhosting provider to make the change for you.

jpflathead
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jpflathead » Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:58 pm

I changed the permissions back to 755

Balazs71
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Balazs71 » Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:26 pm

jpflathead wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:12 pm
I often have these 2 problems together that in the admin site in the Home Dashboard 4 of the 5 blocks in the Notification tab are red: "Unknown Joomla...." , "Unknown extentions...." , "Error on checking overrides." and "Unknown requests...." . But "Backup up to date" is green. Yes, Akeeba is installed.
Totally same problem here.
But you saved my life temporary becasue the workaround is working here as well (User menu - Accessibility settings - logout - login and it is ok)

rg123
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by rg123 » Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:16 am

Balazs71 wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:26 pm
jpflathead wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:12 pm
Totally same problem here.
But you saved my life temporary becasue the workaround is working here as well (User menu - Accessibility settings - logout - login and it is ok)
Just wondering if anyone managed to resolve this problem? I have the exact same issue, and followed all the suggestions in this thread. My workaround is to go to media > options and toggle restrict uploads. Then it logs me out automatically and when I log back in, everything is fine... for a while.

Any other suggestions? This seems to have been an issue for a year now, on different versions of Joomla 4 (I'm using the latest version).

jobrusche
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jobrusche » Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:44 am

CobourgJohn
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by CobourgJohn » Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:47 pm

I have the exact same problem - when I login to my backend I see errors in the notification box. Unknown Joomla, Unknown Extensions, Error on checking overrides, Privacy requests – all of these are red but “Download keys entered correctly” is green. I can make the errors go away by clicking the notifications settings icon, choosing edit and going to that page. Then I close that page and I’m asked to re-login but this time when I login, it’s all green. The problem reappears if I logout, visit another site, then login to the backend again. I see the note in the previous post on this thread so I will note that although I have 8 Joomla sites on 2 different servers, only one has this problem and it is on a server that features Denial of Service protection. I have asked the host company to remove that feature but it has not yet happened. For the record, I’m using Joomla 4.3.3 and PHP 8.1. Also clearing the cache and using a different browser makes no difference.
As well as this thread, a similar problem was reported by JacPuts on 7 Dec 2022.
Is there any chance of a future Joomla update fixing this?

CobourgJohn
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by CobourgJohn » Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:05 am

I see that the Joomla team may not want to fix the notification error problem because it's hard to find a testing environment. You could use the Host company I have the problem with: Hostpapa. Get an account for very low cost for just one or two months. All their accounts have the DOS feature.

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 4.x”