The language overrides for some extensions Topic is solved

General questions regarding the use of languages in Joomla! 4.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
Kompas
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

The language overrides for some extensions

Post by Kompas » Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:21 pm

Hello all,
I have a question about language overrides. I know what it is and how to use them as I already did for some extensions, but apparently, I am not able to find some constants for strings that are enclosed within the 2 stars in some other extensions in order to create a replacement value. Why is that? Is there a workaround for this issue or is that up to the developper to put some extra code somewhere for the magic to happen or has this to do with some bug?? Must there already exist a language ini file for a specific language in order to be able to change the value for something in that language?

Would like to understand this better,

thanks
Jan

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: The language overrides for some extensions

Post by toivo » Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:47 am

It sounds like you turned on the option Debug Language in the System tab of the Global Configuration. It displays either the language constant or the value of the language constant, depending on the option next option, Language Display.

Kompas wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:21 pmMust there already exist a language ini file for a specific language in order to be able to change the value for something in that language?
Extensions need to have their own .ini file for a specific language before the value of a language constant can be overridden in that language.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:44 am

Correction: I was advised that when a new language constant is created as a language override and used in an extension through the statement Text::_, it is not necessary for the language constant to be included in an .ini file at all.

If you create language overrides for an extension in a new language, you could offer a copy of the override files, stored in the folders administrator/language/overrides and language/overrides, to the developer of the extension so that the new translations could be published in a language specific .ini file.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by imanickam » Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:37 am

When the Language Debug option is ON, one can see the list of language files loaded and NOT loaded. In the bottom of the screen there is a label titled "Loaded" and when this label is clicked you would see the list of files loaded and NOT loaded.
Ilagnayeru (MIG) Manickam | இளஞாயிறு மாணிக்கம்
Joomla! - Global Moderators Team | Joomla! Core - Tamil (தமிழ்) Translation Team Coordinator
Former Joomla! Translations Coordination Team Lead
Eegan - Support the poor and underprivileged

Kompas
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Kompas » Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:55 am

Thanks toivo and imanickam for your answers
What I take away from your suggestions is :
toivo said
…you could offer a copy of the override files, stored in… etc… ’ll take from from there to see if I can get the desired result. observation: the overrides I created before were still in J3, but in J4 the info on my screen becomes very difficult to read so hard to manage or simply navigate around, words overlap or options disappear out of view on the screen. So, imanickam, with Language Debug option On I cannot really continue to work,do not see clearly, get confused and make mistakes. It depends also on how many extensions are installed. Going back to the normal admin screen is difficult.
I cannot mark this discussion already as solved.

So, I’m going to avoid extensions that do not already include complete language files beside the one from the developper.Since comparable problems happened more than once I had to turn away from Joomla sometimes and look for a separate outside solution.
Thanks toivo and imanickam and have a nice day.

Kompas
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Kompas » Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:37 pm

The developper is going to send the desired "partially finished' language files and I'll see if those help to move forward and I'll come back later in order to inform you.

Kompas
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Kompas » Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:24 pm

Quick update. The "partially translated" language files that the developper send me were a good start. I'll wait for the rest of translations to arrive (I'm helping too) because Using the Joomla language override function is not a pleasure but rather a punishment when there are too many things to change: the interface is very impractical and cluttered. I'll mark this issue as solved for now, because it is not posible to mark things "half' finished" or on a scale of 1-5 e.g.
Have a nice day,
Kompas

Return to “Language - Joomla! 4.x”