Warning The Default Home page assigned to the de-DE Content Language is unpublished. The language will not display…

General questions regarding the use of languages in Joomla! 4.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
ellaC
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Warning The Default Home page assigned to the de-DE Content Language is unpublished. The language will not display…

Post by ellaC » Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:32 pm

Hello,
I'm stuck with bringing Joomla 4 to Multilingual. Did it before with 3.x on a different site same template, but cannot solve it now.

* Joomla! 4.2.9 Stable, PHP8
* Template tp ice by joomlaplates, Astroid framework, UIKit
* First followed the docs https://docs.joomla.org/J3.x:Setup_a_Multilingual_Site, then fiddled around ;-)

* Languages (de/en) installed
* Plugins (filter, code) installed and published
* created 2 menus (de/en)
* created bilingual content
* associations – OK
* Created 2 Template styles, asigned to the respective modules in the 2 languages
* etc. pp

Result: Pages, menus, and modules are available, I can use the /en and /de URLs and everything is fine.

* installed Admin Module "language status"
* Added the language switch as described
* de home menu item is set to language "all"

Result: en site shows pretext, en (!) flag and dropdown; de (default) shows only the pretext of the switch, no flag, no dropdown (in fact, the button and the dropdown is in the markup but CSS display:none, (which I could solve) – however: only the en flag + dropdown in the markup, no de switch, in both languages

language Status displays 2 warnings:
* something with module language all not to be published – i depublished the menu module for DE/ALL, seems ok, no more warning
* "Default Home page assigned to the en-GB Content Language is unpublished" -> which I do not understand. A "page" (= article) as I understand, is not "default", only a menu item can be default. Moreover, if I understand my home pages as "default", everything exists and is published.

OK, went to my old 3.x site and compared, found a third menu there with the default menu item for "ALL" languages (no article connected, but this is not possible for 4.x). Tried this.

* So I have 3 menus now,
** one of them holding a "default" menu item with dummy page connected and language "all", no module
** one de with all de menu items + menu module
** one en with all en menu items + menu module

--> no difference. checked the menu assignments, removed the "dummy" default item from the template and checked – no differences. The warning keeps the same: "The Default Home page assigned to the de-DE Content Language is unpublished. The language will not display on the site.", and no menu on de, and a wrong one on en.

Sorry for the longread, but I'm out if ideas. What else can be wrong here?

Thanks for reading and any hint

ellaC
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: Warning The Default Home page assigned to the de-DE Content Language is unpublished. The language will not display…

Post by ellaC » Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:08 pm

Just a quick update: I gave up and coded my own language switcher module, which works fine with pulling menu associations. So not really solved but a good workaround … 

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Warning The Default Home page assigned to the de-DE Content Language is unpublished. The language will not display…

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:20 pm

Did you use the Language Status Administrator Module to check the configuration?

Do you have a Default Menu item for DE tagged with a German flag?

Return to “Language - Joomla! 4.x”