3 languages but only 2 flags are showing front end

General questions regarding the use of languages in Joomla! 4.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
wicko
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

3 languages but only 2 flags are showing front end

Post by wicko » Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:07 am

I have create a new site with 3 languages, English, Armenian and Russian.

Created all articles and menus in each langauge and associated to language. All show their flags in backend admin but on the frontend only 2 flags appear in the language switcher (English and Russian).

I do notice that the Armenian langauge pack is missing which I might be able to help with. I have created all 3 languages in the Content Langauges.

How can I get the Armenian to show up? Is it because the Language Pack is missing as everything else appears to be set correctly. Working on for Russian and English but just not Armenian.

regards

David (Wicko)

ceford
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Re: 3 languages but only 2 flags are showing front end

Post by ceford » Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:50 am

Go to System / Content Languages - if it is not there or not enabled its flag will not be present in the switcher. So you do need to install the Armenian language pack.

wicko
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by wicko » Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:07 am

Hi ceford

Thanks for comign back to me.

There are 2 options in the system, Langauges and Content Languages.

Languages is what needs the language pack

Content Languages allows you to create the content language option which I have done. All 3 flags show fine against their articles etc when assinged to them.

So all 3 langauages appear in Content Langauages but no in Languages. Unfortunately there is not a Armenian Language pack available for Armenian so I am unable to download it. So not sure how I fix this.

regards

David

Leen57
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Leen57 » Fri Oct 06, 2023 11:17 am

I've seen something like this on someone before
You can take a look in System Dashboard > Languages: Content to see if each language has a number, so not 0
if there is a 0(zero) you can use phpmyadmin to change this to the correct number in table xxxxx_languases
mistake_num_lang.jpg
langnumb1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ceford
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by ceford » Fri Oct 06, 2023 11:28 am

Sorry for not reading your first post more carefully. For me the Content Languages were made on installation of the language so I never needed to create one via the new button.

Creating a language pack is a big job. You might be able to make some progress by installing another language (is Turkish suitable) and then using Language overrides for everything that appears on the frontend. Is that practical? You can change the flag to hy or hy_am.

wicko
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by wicko » Fri Oct 06, 2023 11:36 am

ok so I have had to create a dumy language file but downloading an existing pack and renaming it hy-AM. Took a bit of time as needed to go through each directory in the language pack and find instances of the pack name and replace. Also hand to change the name of language and country. The also had to change the utf-8 referance.

So after all this I was able to install my dumy language file and then reassign everything to it.

Now have it working.

Hopefully in the furture when and if an official Armenian language pack is created then will be able to replace this.

I did notice that there is a Armenian Language pack for Joomla 3 but is a different structure to Joomla 4. I think than many of the translations are there but would take quite a bit more time to move over to my dumpy pack.

Perhaps is a project for the future

Return to “Language - Joomla! 4.x”